Insight in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Proudest Monkey
Default How Doess the Insight Fair in Winter?

Mostly I'm curious about how it does in the snow. I know its no 4x4, but how will it handle in an urban/suburban environment with a bit of snow on the pavement? I would expect not so well due to its light weight and the LLR tires, but perhaps you all have different experiences...

Cheers!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How Doess the Insight Fair in Winter?

Hi Atomic Frog:

___Not so good imho but I was a mostly highway driver and even during a snowstorm, the plows were out and I would try and stay in the freshly plowed lanes if at all possible. I could get home and back but she wouldn’t make it up my relatively steep drive with > 1” on the ground if that is where you were headed? Your FE will be atrocious no matter what you try but it is still better them most under those exact conditions …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Insight in the snow?

Our BMW is on it's last leg. My mother is actually thinking of getting a hybrid! But it must be good in the snow. How does the Insight do in the snow?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Insight in the snow?

Darn! This is a deal closer for my mother. Jersey has pretty rough winters. Thanks for the info. David.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributor ($)

Handles like a small car in the snow. I live in wisconsin and drove unplowed roads in the winter with LRR tires. Always got to work and never got stuck. But again, it's not like driving a 4x4 Subaru.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Banned

My worst-ever Insight commute was on December 15, 2000. Went 25 miles home in five hours at 2-3 mph on iced-up roads - 25mpg. Considering I went the first 4-5 miles before traffic turned into a parking lot, it potentially was as bad as 20mpg from that point on.

I can't talk about snowbanks, but last month along Hwy 287 west of Witchta Falls, I tried to park on a dirt road along the highway. Some spots had six-inch sand and was almost trapped, so I returned to the highway.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

UM, are you actually using snow tires or are you all using the low rolling resistance tires??? If you're using the LRR's it's NOT going to do well in the snow. NOTHING beats a good set of snow tires. It's not like it's a high horsepower car that's going to keep breaking the tires loose, since it's a very tame car, a good set of snow tires should get you through anything.

Yes your precious milage will decrease in the winter, but if you live where there is a lot of snow, that's a choice you have to make. Do you want to make it to your destination safely or do you want to save a couple of bucks in gas. And, it's not like the tires are expensive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2

Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

That's great. The Honda Insight is at the top of my list.

BTW: A few weeks ago I hosted my first car show. It came off great. I tried to get some hybrids there but didn't have much luck. I plan on doing more shows in the Spring. If you have an interest in a appearing at a future car show, you can drop me a line or leave a message on my message board.

http://dillerscarshows.blogspot.com