New IMA Battery!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default New IMA Battery!

Well, the Check Engine and IMA lights went on in my 2001 Insight yesterday.
Brought it into the dealership today and they said that the battery was deteriorated and would have to be replaced. Nearest battery is in... you guessed it, JAPAN.
I guess I am glad that my IMA light actually went on as I have read plenty of posts from folks who were having problems with recals, etc., but whose IMA light hadn't come on yet.
I am kind of surprised, however, that it did go on as I would not have said that I was having an unusual number of recals. A few, yes but enough? I guess so.
We'll see how long it takes for the battery to arrive from Japan. I bet that none of the mechanics at my dealership have ever had to replace this part before!

Anyone have thoughts on whether I should or shouldn't continue to drive the car while I wait for the part?
Sonja

Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: New IMA Battery!

Definitely ask the dealer for a loaner.

For all the other Insight pilots, is this the first time you've heard of someone needing a replacement?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Several Insight owners on the Yahoo! Honda-Hybrid forum have reported battery replacements over the past couple of years. I still think it's a pretty small percentage overall. I have 130k miles on my '01 Insight without any battery-related problems.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 PM

sledge, what makes you say that? I would think it would be fine to drive it for a few weeks. As long as it continues to show a state of charge then its obviously charging and should work fine. Its probably just below specifications for Honda.

I recomend asking the dealer to be sure.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

I've heard the 2000 Insight is the most vunerable (i.e. what I drive)

Is Honda paying for this?

How often were the recals? Daily?

Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

How many miles are on yours Sonja? I'm at 63,000 now, still crossing my fingers that little sucker will throw a light soon. RECALS are nearly a daily occurance now and the weather isn't even hot. I'm guessing it'll bite the dust this summer. Can't wait to breathe new life into my car.

I have a RECAL about every 150-200 miles.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Did they give you an estimate on the price of the battery replacement?

Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast

I have about 47000 miles on my Insight. And, no, I wasn't getting daily recals. That is what surprised me when the IMA light went on. I had a recal maybe every week or two. I noticed that when I didn't drive my car for a while, i.e. after coming home from a 10 day vacation, that it would immediately recal when I started it up.
I haven't asked about the price since it is still under warranty - the battery that is.

Regarding driving it or not - the charge is 'full' but I have noticed that the assist doesn't kick in at all now that the IMA light is on. I do a considerable amount of driving - between 50-80 miles a day and I don't think that I really want to be doing so much highway driving in a car that is designed to work with hybrid assist when it is not working. I'm leaning towards getting a loaner.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

By all means - if the dealership will give you a loaner, take it!

Why drive the car in a 'degraded' state, particularly if its under warranty?

I've heard around $3500 for replacing the pack and associated electronics, but if anyone out there has a true estimate, I'd be interested in knowing too!

Quick Reply: New IMA Battery!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands