Nickel metal hydride battery and possible MCM problems on 2000 Insight

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Question Nickel metal hydride battery and possible MCM problems on 2000 Insight

Had IMA failure in about 2007 and had it replaced under recall. About 1 month ago I got an IMA warning light. Drove car to dealer, told I would need a new battery and possible MCM for about $5000. In its current condition, at 98,000 miles, my car is not worth that much. Dealer told me computer showed 2 codes that indicated battery deterioration. I drove the car away. It drove anemically on 3 gas-powered cylinders for about 3 wk. Some display elements were missing. After 3 wk I got intermittent, then continuous brake and (12-volt) battery indicators. Finally, entire electrical system and power train slowly ground to a halt. I had it towed home. My housemate decided to charge the 12-volt lead acid battery and at one point disconnected it for a few minutes. Upon reconnection, the car started, the entire display lit up, with no IMA or any other warning indicators. I have driven it about 15-20 miles since then. The autostop took longer than usual to begin to function. After coasting down a long hill on autostop, I noticed the SoC declining rapidly. However, I have minimized use of autostop since then and the SoC indicator seems to be functioning normally now. Acceleration is back to its normal (for an Insight) level. Do I have an expensive failure or a miraculous resurrection? I am not on friendly terms with the dealer right now, but I can try to obtain the codes if that will help. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Nickel metal hydride battery and possible MCM problems on 2000 Insight

It might be worth asking the folks over at:

http://www.insightcentral.net/

They might have some experience with the symptoms your car is displaying, or have suggestions for a remedy.

I wonder if it just needs a new 12V battery?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Nickel metal hydride battery and possible MCM problems on 2000 Insight

Thanks. The 12V battery had been checked and is fine. I will try the insight website.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Eli
Banned
Lightbulb Re: Nickel metal hydride battery and possible MCM problems on 2000 Insight

First, there is nothing wrong with your MCM. Don't let Honda touch it.

No miraculous resurrection unfortunately. Disconnecting the 12V battery in the Insight will reset all the systems and codes(and also your radio station presets). Your experience is typical - It could be an hour, a day, a week, a month or more until the IMA light comes back - but it will come back.

Most people don't understand that the IMA light only comes on when the IMA battery has reached 10% of its original performance or less. When you say that "acceleration is back to normal (for an Insight)", what you really should be saying is "acceleration is back to normal (for an Insight with a deteriorated battery)".

Many, if not most people are driving around with batteries in the 20-40% of original performance range, and they would never know it. The car purposefully hides this from you until the bitter sweet end.

Since the IMA battery deteriorates over a long period of time, it's difficult to detect the slow loss in performance. Any assist feels powerful because of the nature of electric motor torque. However, when you feel the power available with a brand new battery, you'll certainly like what you've been missing.

(I guess my "Vendor" status hasn't been updated yet, I apologize for the seemingly unwarranted solicitation).

Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion by researching other threads, on this website and on insightcentral. I found a guy who can "fix my stix" closer to home (Atlanta, GA area). It is amazing how many drivers have had the same experience, and the same clueless response from dealers across the country. Of course, I am judging only by the drivers who know enough to post on forums! There must be 5-10 times the number of drivers who will never know what happened to them. It couldn't mean much to Honda that a rare discontinued vehicle is not being properly supported. Anyway, kudos to you and those like you for meeting a need.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

BTW the codes were 1447 and 1449, but I guess you know that

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Eli
Banned

Yep.

We'll be here ready with a new battery when you get tired of spending the cost of a rebuild every 6-24 months.