Plug-in LiIon Battery Conversion for Insight

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Plug-in LiIon Battery Conversion for Insight

The pack has been designed "on paper".
The company willing to do this work for me is going to work on the Insight project in the near future, after the company's other obligations to larger customers are met.

As for safty, it will be as safe ( or safer ) than the stock packs used in Hybrids on the road today.

Stock batteries in Hybrids have only a handful of sensors monitoring the health and state of the battery. This lithium pack will have about 100 sensors monitoring the state of charge of individual cells. That's what you need for LiION technology, and one reason it is more expensive.

My car is still slated to be the prototype.
I recently installed MIMA ( 99mpg.com ) so I already have the HMI control electronics to the car installed.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Energy Harvester

Is there now a plug-in conversion kit available for an Insight.
I have a 2000 Honda Insight and would like to convert it to a plug in when I purchase a new battery.
Mark von Wodtke

Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

There is a lot of discussion going on on Insight Central about lithium currently and a number of members have bought A123 20ah cells to follow in my footsteps as a Lithium pioneer. I have been driving two lithium phev G1 Insights for 2-3 years. Sadly I don't have time to post details on multiple sites but all the info is out there. Peter