Tip- Handy storage tray idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Tip- Handy storage tray idea

The Insight is a ultra small car, and interior storage is limited.

I was always looking for a place to store pens, a digital camera, my security pass, coins, etc.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...drvrs-seat.jpg

This tray was found at Target, made by Rubbermaid. It's 3" X 15".
Fits perfectly in the area between the door sill and drivers seat.

Regards,

Old 11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Tip- Handy storage tray idea

Good idea. I normally keep folded up car magazines down there but I like that idea.

I just came up with an idea too. I velcroed my radio remote to the end of my armrest out of sight. Now I can switch stations without ever taking my arm off the armrest.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Super ideas from both of you guys. Speaking of velcro. It would be a good idea to put velcro on the bottom of the tray to give it a little more permanence.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:02 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I'll put money on it that it was a tight fit getting it in there Tom. If you look close at the front there is a rib that sits up about 2 inches, pretty hard to see.

On another note. The velcro I just got was this yellow plastic stuff from 3M for hanging pictures. EXCELLENT stuff. I also used it to velcro my GPS reciever (Delorme BlueLogger) to the top of the back window. I'm loving that stuff, better than Duct Tape.

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Super ideas from both of you guys. Speaking of velcro. It would be a good idea to put velcro on the bottom of the tray to give it a little more permanence.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:37 PM
reformed speed demon

same kinda storage issues going on in the FEH too, compared to the console storage in the regular escape. my husband hates it when i clutter up the cupholders with bubble gum wrappers and spare change...so i've got an empty plastic peanut butter jar that can double as a tiny garbage can, as well as another container just for spare change.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

Oh ... love that tray idea. Unfortunately for me, most of my door pockets, ash trays, center consoles, glove boxes, spare tire wells, etc are filling with junk. Lack of discipline on my part thinking that I need everything just shy of the kitchen sink in my car.

Hopefully your little bin will not become a junk collection spot. Normally that's my newspaper holder as when I drive out the driveway in the morning I can pick up the 'usually' wet and soggy plastic covered log and stick it there. My biggest complaint is forgetting it when I get out of the car. Great idea with the tray and velcro.

Speaking of velcro, I use a few 'tabs' of vecro for things like my GPS 'puck' that I keep in the passenger corner of the windshield. It plugs into my laptop which rides along side on most of my trips. (I drive my TDI for business) I find the laptop setup great for people who might work from their cars and appreciate having a client database and appointment tracker handy, as well as instant internet access thru WiFi or cell connections. More and more of us are relying on email communications and I find it really handy to be able to connect while on the road.

As for GPS, I'm always looking for a better option ... but for now my notebook and the Garmin GPS18 with iRoute softwares hasn't let me down ... although my instincts are often better than trusting its routing, if you know what I mean.

The recent podcasting trend is also something that I appreciate as porting the audio to the cars stereo give a great collection of interesting content ... including of course a full selection of mp3 music. Word of warning ... don't tempt yourself with video! (besides, I've heard many states are starting to get a bit more serious about front seat displays no matter the content??? But then that's another subject ... What content should be permitted to distract drivers???)

Last edited by RichC; 11-21-2005 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by nimhbug
same kinda storage issues going on in the FEH too, compared to the console storage in the regular escape. my husband hates it when i clutter up the cupholders with bubble gum wrappers and spare change...so i've got an empty plastic peanut butter jar that can double as a tiny garbage can, as well as another container just for spare change.
in my last car i had a cup in the cup holder devoted to trash and pens. the ash tray was for change.
the other day i dropped my cell phone between my seat and the center consolein my HCH, even with my tiny hands it was hard to get out.