06 HCH Idle Stop and AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:51 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default 06 HCH Idle Stop and AC

Since the new 06 HCH has the electric AC compressor I have to ask, how long can the battery run the AC compressor and blower in idle stop? I was going to get a Prius in Jan, but I really like the looks of the new HCH. I also like the stronger motor and electric AC that the 05 lacked. Living in Houston we run the AC a lot. I know the Prius has a higher voltage and amp hour battery and was interested the comparison of this feature in relation to running the AC in idle stop. Will the HCH start the ICE to charge the batt like the Prius or will the AC turn off until you start to drive?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Re: 06 HCH Idle Stop and AC

This is a great question, as my understanding of the way the current ('05) HCH's work, is the Idle Stop feature is disabled when the AC is on. I do know the Video I watched on the new HCH VTECH ICE, showed the AC compressor running off either the ICE or a seperate electric motor.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Here is what happens in the pre 06 HCH in regards to battery.

In autostop the car will run of the 12V until the voltage drops below 12V at which time it uses the hybrid battery to charge the 12v back up to some reasonable level. Then the car runs of the 12V again. It will continue to do this until the IMA battery is depleated or down to some point set by honda.

I would suspect the car would stay off for a minute or two. I don't think it would need to turn on. My 03 doesn't turn on when I'm running my radio and my voltage drops.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Brains of the Operation

My understanding, based upon reading the materials that Terry posted, is that there is actually a second, smaller electric motor responsible for running the AC compressor when the ICE is off. The manual made mention that this electric AC scenario only occurs when there is little demand on the compressor; i.e., to maintain cabin temperature rather than rapidly cool it. So if it's a hot summer day, you'll need to have your cabin pre-cooled to take full advantage of the electric AC. I'm not sure if the ICE would stay on to fully power the compressor in the hot summer oven scenario, or if the ICE and AC would shut off altogether, as happens in the ECON mode in the '03-'05 HCHs.

I was hoping that the AC would be fully electric in the new models. Is my comprehension of this somehow incorrect?

Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM

No, it is not fully electric. There are two compressors from my understanding. A main one (non electric) and an auxillary one (electric). The main one is used to cool the car down quickly and the auxillary one will maintain temperature and run when the engine if off.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Max A/C will cancel auto-stop so that the ICE can run the compressor, otherwise when you stop the compressor will continue to run on electric power from the HV to 12v system (unless they made a special inverter for the A/C).

Old 10-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Here is the Video that Honda produced on the new VTEC. There is one section that describes the Air Conditioner and references run on either the ICE or a seperate motor.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705b/

Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___I am not sure if this is what you were all looking for?

Honda Announces Development of New Honda Hybrid System …
The air conditioner features a hybrid compressor that is powered by both the engine and the motor. When the engine is in Idle Stop mode the compressor is powered by the motor; if rapid cooling is required it is powered by the engine and motor combined. When the temperature is stable it runs off the motor alone, for both improved comfort and fuel savings.
___The HCH-II will run it’s electric A/C based unit as long as necessary if you are not in a MAX setup or low temp while it is hotter then blazes. How long will the pack hold up is a good question? My guess is an ~ 2 kW all electric A/C unit that can run off the HCH-II’s .87 kWh pack (.5 kWh useable?) for ~ 15 minutes from a full SoC to Empty? This does not include the power going to the various other electric loads in a hybrid or non-hybrid. Maybe 10 - 12 minutes of electric A/C with everything factored in with an absolutely topped off SoC before the ICE would restart? That seems like an unusually long time to run off the pack to me?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Brains of the Operation

In the summer, I can't help but run my AC. Where most people are starting to see their mpg drop as the cooler temperatures set in, mine are just starting to peak as I can ignore the climate control. That's comforting to know that when the temperature is stable, the compressor is electric powered in the 06.

I want that setup.