06 HCH Maintenance Schedule - impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 06 HCH Maintenance Schedule - impressions

I'm just bought a HCH 06 and the dealer has handed me the maintenance schedule pamphlet. It this tells me that there are two types of maintenance A and B with sub maintenance: 12345.

A: $27.88 CAD
replace engine oil

B: $175.88 CAD
replace engine oil and filter
service front and rear brakes
inspect parking barke adjustments
inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots
inspect suspension components
inspect driveshaft boots.
inspect barke hoses and lines (including ABS)
Check fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks
inspect exhaust system
inspect fuel lines and connections

1. $33.88 CAD
rotate tires and check pressure

2. $155.88 CAD
Replace air cleaner element. replace dust and pollen filter and adjust drive belt.

3. $76.88 CAD
Replace transmission fluid

4. $120 CAD
Replace spark plugs. inspect valve clearance

5. $78.00
Replace engine coolant

I have only owned one car before this (back in 01, and it was my first car), so my knowledge about car maintenance during that time was only as good as anyone who has never touched a car at all.

I'm just going through it and i strongly believe that at least more than half of it are DIY jobs: for example replacing oil and oil filter, air filter , engine air filter, checking tire pressures (just buy a tire guage and a tire inflator), checking drive belt (just have them replace it after 3 or more cracks exist per inch), replacing spark plugs (i believe it uses platinums or irradiums which last 130,000 + KM, i have to verify), checking for leaks, and finally checking fluid levels.
Having mentioned the above DIY jobs, those are what i currently know how to do with my current car : 01 BMW 325ci have saved thousands of $$$$ ever since my warranty expired 3 years ago ( yes i drive a lot and yes i had no choice but to learn those otherwise suffer having a hole in my wallet with their scammed $1000 CAD inspections ) and my car still runs flawlessly.

I guess that's how the dealer makes the bulk of their money.

To me, the only thing that's necessary for taking the car to the dealer after the warranty is up is to rotate tires, replace brakes (front and rear disc and drums), replace transmission fluid, and coolant fluid periodically; fortunately the last three are not very often. Also, when you finally start hearing the engine knocking and clicking to the point where it annoys you, just have them adjust the valve clearances (this is how i inspect my valves )
And when the battery finally goes at their specified 8 year or 130,000km that's when i have to let the car go too and trade in for another and more advanced hybrid

but since the car will be under warranty for 100,000kms I guess should stick to this schedule for now.

I'm planning on changing the oil myself to mobil 1 0w20.
That is why i have to skip Maintenance Type A alltogether even when the car is new ( I like to change both Oil and Filter together, although some may say it's not necessary to).

As far as tire pressure goes, I think going 2 psi over the specified value is okay and will give a slightly more stiffer ride and hopefully better mileage is what i have done in the past and plan to do the same with my new car.

I know honda knows best about maintenance for their cars, and i know that their maintenance schedule is designed for maximum profitability but are there really clear ingedients for any car owner to know besides changing oil which are mandatory to keep their cars running and healthy for a long time? any tips suggestions will be appreciated especially for new car owners who want to learn some DIY jobs.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCH Maintenance Schedule - impressions

Actually, from what I hear, changing the tranny coolant is VERY simple. MUCH more simple than changing say, the spark plugs (there are 8 by the way on the new lean-burn engine in the '06). There is no tranny filter on a CVT, so its just drain and fill. And, you can get the coolant serviced at a regular mechanic for 30 bucks usually. Although the kind the 06 HCH uses is SUPPOSED to last 5 years with no changing, its some "extended life" coolant (GM calls it Dexcool). You can change it yourself as well, not hard at all. The brakes I would DEFINITELY take to Honda. Its a hybrid, I wouldn't let someone other than them mess with the regen brake system.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the info mex,

i asked around and some people also say that coolant now a days never need to be changed, instead just be "topped off".

Regarding my current car; When i went to the dealer last year (BMW) to buy coolant for my car, they asked me what year my car was. I told them 2001 and the parts department person said " oh, if it's 2004 and up, you never need to flush and change the coolant, just top it off". This seems odd because the 325ci model has been around since 2001 and the model never has changed (except for the front lights which is now shaped into a big smile); even bmw doesnt make a different types of coolant for the newer models: they sell the same blue coolant for all their models. So i strongly believe that coolants now a days have better forumulations and never need to be changed, instead just top off as needed. That's what i do with mine because the fluid level regularly goes down every year anyway.

When i recieve my 06 HCH in march, i'm sure there is a way to reset the computer after each service yourself. If it doesnt say in the manual, make those people at the dealer show you how to do it; that's what i did with my car,
I paid for it, i demanded to know how to reset the computer myself.

But if someone out there already knows how to reset the service lights on the dash, please share the info for us DIY people

Last edited by CamelFilters; 02-27-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the actual brakes themselves are just standard anti-locks. The regen is accomplished by the electric motor/generator with the computer balancing between it and the standard brake pads. So you should be able to take it to any mechanic.

DKeane

Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes i believe you are right, the battery regen is something that is accomplished by the electric motor and has nothing to do with the actual brake pads and rear drums themselves. I believe you can just take your brakes to your local trusted mechanic or dealer to have them changed.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Read about my recent service experience Here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...0758#post50758

The dealership will try every time to try to convince you to have more done than necessary. Next time I may do it myself, or bring it to my local mechanic, and will bring them the OW-20.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you!

i really wanted to make a point the first time about the dealer doing unessessary stuff to make more money during these service schedules; especially those inspections where they charge you $175 to have a mechanic walk around your car to inspect, I can do it myself and on top of that change my own oil and filter with the kind I want: in my case Mobil1 0w20. What kind of oil does honda make anyway? does honda even make oil? i thought they just make cars... and ASIMO

best regards,
gj

Old 02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What IS the brand and weight of original motor oil in the HCH II ????

Old 02-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

i'm not sure who supplies oil for honda but the weight of oil which the hybrid uses is 0W20