15 year or 150K mile warranty - Whopeeee

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm in California.
My 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid AT-PZEV with CVT came with a 3 yr, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
But on all the hybrid-related stuff (70 items are on the list) there is a 15 year or 150,000 mile warranty.
The IMA Battery Assembly has a 10 year 150,000 mi warranty.

Note: These came FREE with this version of the HCH.
I said, "No!" to all warranty extensions.
I think the 03s sold in California had an 8 year 100K battery warranty.

I think this is better than the non AT-PZEVs that are sold in most of the country.
AZ-PZEVs are sold in California Vermont, mass, Maine, I think.
The rest of the country gets a SULEV I think, with a larger gas tank and higher emmisions.
And isn't your Batter warranty only 8 year 80,000 mi?
I think the AT-PZEVs is the lowest emmisions of all cars that uses gas.

Which model do you have? SU?LEV or AT-PZEV?
Which state did you buy it in?
How long is the IMA battery warranty?
How long is the rest of the hybid system warranty?

Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Std Honda warranty for my ULEV 2004 HCH was 36K B2B, 8yr/80KM battery.

Since I keep my cars for 10 years I projected mileage at that time to be ~160K.
Because I still wasn't sure about it all I spent ~$900 on their best ext warranty.
This covers 7yr/70K b2b, 10yr and 150K on battery.

This was last January.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 AM

Hi Kenny:

___First off, there are many different models of the HCH so depending on where you live, that is the model you will purchase. Unless you are willing to drive a distance to purchase your car that is …

___I don’t know if you know this or not but the Toyota Prius II’s as well as Ford’s Focus PZEV sold in the non-Green States is the exact car sold in the green ones. With that, the PZEV moniker gives the purchaser the 8 and 10 year, 150,000 mile warranties on certain components and just the std. Federal Emissions warranty (8 Yr./80,000) in the non-Green states given it is just a SULEV on high sulfur fuel in those. Might I add that the various emission and component warranties appear to be in flux as no one, not even Toyota wants to back a major power train component for 150,000 miles.

___You can see what I mean here: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/warra...nty.html#prius

___With the above, is it better to purchase a PZEV then a ULEV? Yes it is but some simply can’t given the locations in which they live and/or purchase their HCH from. It is not a purchaser’s choice in this regard sometimes but the automobile manufactures themselves that are trying to save on warranty coverage’s (as well as the extra expense of PZEV HW) per the applicable laws in differing locations imho. In other words, even if you can purchase the PZEV, depending on the state you live in, it will only be covered to that states warranty and that is usually the lesser federal mandate, not the Green States mandate such as California’s. And with that, if I were going to purchase a Camry or Accord today, I wouldn’t purchase it from my local Toyota or Honda dealer but one in a Green State so I could get the PZEV instead of the ULEV …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 02-27-2005, 05:44 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

Hi Kenny-
I know this is an old post, but I just got my 05 HCH CCT, and as my husband says- I'm obsessed- so I'm reading posts on sunday morning.
anyway- I just bought my HCH in Jan (2.9% financing sale) and I got the standard 3yr/36,000 but the only hybrid specific warranty I got was the 8yr battery warranty. I had to spring $1200 for the 'honda care' 7yr/70,000 warranty to cover hybrid stuff, like all the various computers running everything.

here in NY the state is adopting Ca emmissions ratings and the cars sold here are "california emmisions' versions. my car has an AT-PZEV sticker rating. upon investigation of this, I found throught the epa.gov site that there are 2 engines for the HCH a ...33A6 (lean burn) which rates .9 on the "pollution index" (10 being worst) and the ....3YCV engine which gets a .09 on the pollution index. I have a 3YCV engine (its on the emmision sticker under the hood) and I know Chuck does too (he's in CA) because he helped me find the sticker. the dealer knew zip about any of this. so I suspect that there are actually 2 different engine versions circulating out there - but I have no empirical data to confirm this. I was going to go to a dealer in nj and look at his cars in stock - but haven't had a chance. (and my husband will kill me)
It's interesting that the 'lean burn' engine has a worse pollution index.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributor ($)

KLC,
being obsessed is a good thing as far as I'm concerened. There's always something new to learn. So are you saying you will be entitled to the 150,000 mi emissions warranty?

Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 15 year or 150K mile warranty - Whopeeee

According to Honda's Owner Link even the 2003 HCH SULEV has a 15year/150,000 mile warranty on most emmision related components. It also lists that the "IMA battery assembly" has a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty. I assume the assembly includes the battery pack. What does everyone else think?

I attached the California specific Hybrid warranty as a .pdf.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
APL24920.pdf (62.8 KB, 573 views)