2007 HCH IMA light/check engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 HCH IMA light/check engine

Okay! So I bought this car with a salvaged title from a private party. It has 114000 miles on it (so I have no warranty on the IMA battery).

Now the problem.

Every few days or so the IMA light and check engine light will come on (they will shut off if my car sits for about 8 hours).

The charge will immediately drop once I start the car, but will charge back up normally as I am driving. However, every now and then, if I'm going 70 usually, the charge will drop back down but then recharge as normal.

I live in San Diego so during the day it does get pretty hot.

I know I need to bring it to get the codes checked and I plan on doing that tomorrow.

However I'm just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what their outcome was, because I don't have 2-3 grand to spend on a new battery :/.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 HCH IMA light/check engine

Codes needed. Update profile to indication your location.

The gauge behavior you're describing are recalibrations of the battery. When they occur frequently, they are a sign of a deteriorated pack. The occasional IMA light is likely related to that, but you need to get the codes to confirm. You need to confirm that your 12V battery is in good shape. If it's more than 2 years old, consider replacing it with a 51R instead of the 151R.

Grid charging (charging from the power grid) can frequently improve an ailing battery. There are turnkey solutions for less than $500 that provide convenience (can leave the pack in the car), or you can build your own (plus a discharge) for less than $100 but at great inconvenience (have to remove the pack from the car). If your battery responds to grid charging, it will also benefit from a DEEP discharge

Also, if you are tight on money and can't deal with anything, the IMA system can be bypassed and disabled; however, you need to make doubly sure you're 12V is good as you will only get limited charging. A voltmeter in your cigarette lighter is a handy tool in this situation.

Check the links in my sig.

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited by S Keith; 07-14-2015 at 05:53 AM.