Anyone know a fix for the single-stage sun visor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone know a fix for the single-stage sun visor?

OK, this rates very high on the "driving me nuts" scale, a perfect 10 actually.

The visor on the HCHII doesn't have the convenient little slide out portion that you can extend when you swivel the visor to the side window, to prevent the sun from coming in the last 1/3rd of the driver's door window between the end of the visor and the door frame.

That's a little amenity that should be required by law on all vehicles, IMO. It's so simple, yet makes SUCH a difference. I literally spent 40 minutes driving yesterday with the sun shining in my periphery of my left eye because of this omission by Honda.

So, any nice solutions out there? The only thing I can find on the web extends the visor DOWN when the visor is folded down in the front window... completley ludicrous IMO, why would you want to further block your vision of your driving area????

I guess I could use some zip ties and a piece of cardboard to fabricate a temporary visor extender, but I'd prefer something molded that looks nice. Any leads?

Or, even better, are there any Civics that DO have a sliding visor extension so that I could order the part for, and replace the ones in my HCHII?

Old 03-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the single-stage sun visor?

I think my Honda Element had that feature, it might fit.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Thanks...

Originally Posted by Archslater
I think my Honda Element had that feature, it might fit.
That gives me hope, I'll head to my local honda dealer and see if they can pull a spec sheet on the element and civic visors, maybe we can tell from that if they would work or not.

Now watch, I bet they'll be $200 each.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Rarely post anything

You know, I missed this feature in my '05 Accord Hybrid, when my '01 Accord did have the plastic extender.

The only reason I could figure out why they 'regressed' was because of the side curtain airbags - in a collision, if that extender was pulled out, the impact might drive it into your face. The fact that the Accord visors were soft cloth (another change from the vinyl of the '01) lent credence to this, IMO.

However, I see the Civic also lacks the feature, and while it now also has side curtain bags - it's made of hard plastic. So...I'm not sure. But you'd definitely need to swap from another Honda model - maybe 7th-gen civic would work (you could get in a salvage yard, perhaps). Grey and Ivory s/b standard interior colors on the 7th-gen.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
You know, I missed this feature in my '05 Accord Hybrid, when my '01 Accord did have the plastic extender.
Check again...My '05 Ody doesn't have the extender, but the visor SLIDES on the rail; maybe the Accord has the same type of visor. So you move the visor towards the door and slide it back and forth to get it in the right spot. The Civic doesn't have this...I tried.

EDIT: I just re-read my post. I think I was unclear. Double check with the Accord Hybrid...My HCHII doesn't have this feature.

Last edited by mochisushi; 03-27-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 PM
my other car is a FJORD

mine 2005 doesn't have it, however i found a visor organizer, one of those things that holds change, garage door openers, etc., that also has a slide out. i think i got it at target.......

Old 03-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Vegetarian

My mom just sticks a glove on the end of the visor to block that space between the visor and the rear view mirror. Not exactly the refined look you are going for.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hmmmm...

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
My mom just sticks a glove on the end of the visor to block that space between the visor and the rear view mirror. Not exactly the refined look you are going for.
Your mom's a smart lady. If anyone sees a mag pearl HCHII driving around with a glove on the drivers sun visor, that's me!

Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I use one of those big sring clips for potato chip bags, and clamp a piece of tagboard to the visor so I can reposition it to any difficult spot. I cut off most of the lever tabs so they dont' get in the way.