Audio Upgrade for '07 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Audio Upgrade for '07 HCH

I am getting conflicting stories on what I can, or should I say, cannot do, in terms of an audio upgrade in my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid (non-Navi).

My plan was to replace the factory head unit and speakers with an Alpine navigation head unit and JL Audio C5 components in the front and C3 coax in the rear. I was going to put an 8" JL Audio Microsub in the trunk. To round it out, I was going to use a JL Audio CD700/5 channel amp, due to size (small) and efficiency of power. I would bridge 4 of the channels for the fronts, run the rear speakers off of the head unit, and use the 5th amp channel for the sub (as recommended by Eric at JL Audio). I also want to sound proof the 4 doors and rear deck lid (Dynamat or equivalent).

I've been to 4 different custom stereo installers (not a Big Box store) and all have said an amp and sub in a Hybrid=no problems. They've done it before, etc. etc., even after I've asked if there is any risk with the Hybrid system.

When I called Crutchfield, they strongly advised against any amp or sub (powered or not). They would sell me the gear, but notate my order that it was advised not to be installed.

My advisor said he has had "numerous" amps returned from Hybrid audio upgrades that failed and/or damaged the car.

SO, are the installers selling me the gear to make a sale, or is Crutchfield in the right?

I understand my MPG may decrease, and am willing to accept that. But I don't want to fry my car, or the new JL gear I just installed.

Have any HCH owners upgraded their system to this degree, successfully?

Thanks...

Last edited by gax279; 09-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:15 AM
2008 Altima Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Audio Upgrade for '07 HCH

Hey there. I own a 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid so I'm not sure how helpful my experience will be. Does the Civic Hybrid have a DC Converter which recharges the 12v battery? That is how my Nissan Altima Hybrid works. I currently have 3 Amplifiers which total 2,300 Watts RMS, 2 Type R 12 Inch Subwoofers, all 6 speakers swapped out to Infinity Kappas, a AVH-P4400BH Pioneer Head Unit and a HC2000 Kinetik 105AH rated 12v battery.

I have been running this equipment for a few months now with no ill effects whatsoever. I swapped to a larger better battery due to my voltage dropping from 14.4 to 12.5 on big bass hits, but this was due to my huge power draw and was expected. Now, my voltage goes from 14.4 to 13.5, no more headlight dimming.

I looked up the amp you plan to use, and it appears it produces 300watts RMS total. It would be really hard to believe your stock electrical wouldn't be able to provide that easily with very minimal voltage drop. I was running a 1000watt RMS memphis amp and one sub on my stock panasonic 12v battery, and had no issues at all for months before I upgraded to what I listed above. Assuming you use the correct size power/ground wire, I could not see why your car couldn't handle what you're trying to do with no problems at all.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WJHybrid
Hey there. I own a 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid so I'm not sure how helpful my experience will be. Does the Civic Hybrid have a DC Converter which recharges the 12v battery? That is how my Nissan Altima Hybrid works. I currently have 3 Amplifiers which total 2,300 Watts RMS, 2 Type R 12 Inch Subwoofers, all 6 speakers swapped out to Infinity Kappas, a AVH-P4400BH Pioneer Head Unit and a HC2000 Kinetik 105AH rated 12v battery.

I have been running this equipment for a few months now with no ill effects whatsoever. I swapped to a larger better battery due to my voltage dropping from 14.4 to 12.5 on big bass hits, but this was due to my huge power draw and was expected. Now, my voltage goes from 14.4 to 13.5, no more headlight dimming.

I looked up the amp you plan to use, and it appears it produces 300watts RMS total. It would be really hard to believe your stock electrical wouldn't be able to provide that easily with very minimal voltage drop. I was running a 1000watt RMS memphis amp and one sub on my stock panasonic 12v battery, and had no issues at all for months before I upgraded to what I listed above. Assuming you use the correct size power/ground wire, I could not see why your car couldn't handle what you're trying to do with no problems at all.
WJHybrid, thanks for the reply. Wow, I bet your system sounds great!

As for my HCH, I installed an Alpine INE-S920HD navigation head unit, along with a Focal PS165 6 1/2" component set for the fronts, Focal PS165 coax for the rears, a JL Audio Microsub 8” in the trunk, all run through an Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel amp (100 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1).

Sounds great to my ears and I love the Alpine Navigation- my MPG has remained about the same as before. So I'm good...

Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
2008 Altima Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by gax279
WJHybrid, thanks for the reply. Wow, I bet your system sounds great!

As for my HCH, I installed an Alpine INE-S920HD navigation head unit, along with a Focal PS165 6 1/2" component set for the fronts, Focal PS165 coax for the rears, a JL Audio Microsub 8” in the trunk, all run through an Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel amp (100 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1).

Sounds great to my ears and I love the Alpine Navigation- my MPG has remained about the same as before. So I'm good...
I hear components are much better than just a regular speaker swap. Didn't learn that though until I had already replaced all 6 of my speakers =(. I have a lot of bass in my system, on purpose. But I was surprised that even turned all the way up, the bass doesn't drown out my highs. I'm an addict though, as I am already thinking of upgrades for the future.

Glad to hear you went ahead and got it together even with some people who obviously weren't very educated on what can be done in hybrids saying otherwise.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WJHybrid
I hear components are much better than just a regular speaker swap. Didn't learn that though until I had already replaced all 6 of my speakers =(. I have a lot of bass in my system, on purpose. But I was surprised that even turned all the way up, the bass doesn't drown out my highs. I'm an addict though, as I am already thinking of upgrades for the future.

Glad to hear you went ahead and got it together even with some people who obviously weren't very educated on what can be done in hybrids saying otherwise.
The components do sound nice, I'm glad I went with those. While I like bass, the Micro Sub does a nice job of blending with the Focals to fill everything out.

And I hear what you're saying about car audio being an additiction-I would have done more but didn't want to put too much burden on the car. It's crazy what's out there for speakers, subs, amps, etc. and the prices can get scary!

Are there any magazines or decent web sites to read up on car audio speakers, subs, amps, etc.? I tried Googling and couldn't really find anything. I'm a home theater hobbyist and would like to learn more and stay up on the trends and products in car audio.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Old thread but great unanswered question. I'd love to know too.