Automatic Climate Control ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Automatic Climate Control ?

I was just looking at the '06 catalog and noticed under Air Conditioning in the spec's section is says "Automatic Climate Control", while the other model (gas) civic sedans it just has a dot to indicate it is include in that model. Does anyone know if this is like the thermostat control on the Prius, where you set a temperature you want the passanger compartment to be kept at or if it is something different?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Automatic Climate Control ?

You set the temperature to a specific point and the car automatically does its best to maintain the selected climate.

It's an automatic climate control.
It's standard on all the HCH's. (I guess for '06 as well)

Old 10-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is pretty cool too, you have to learn how to use it a bit, but once you do it is one of those things you can learn to like a lot. :-)

For example, on the HCH, the bigger the difference between the temperature you set and the cabin temperature, the higher the fan speed will be, and it will gradually slow down as the temperature is reached (if you run the fan speed in AUTO).

I once had the air on, with the thermostat set for 70, and hit a prolonged patch of trees. The fan speed dropped significantly, and I assume the compressor cut out also, I didn't experience the usual frigid effect from sudden shade with the air on.

The first time it happened I was really impressed. :-)

Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM

I really hate automatic climate control. Does anyone know if the 2006 HCH still has manual controls that can be used instead? I ask because I have seen cars that do not.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:32 AM

I would suspect it can be disabled just like it can be disabled in the current model.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I really hate automatic climate control.
Curious what about this you hate?

Old 10-07-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by lkewin
Curious what about [automatic climate control] you hate?
There are many times when I just want the fan on, or a light amount of A/C, or a light amount of heating. ACC gives no good way of getting this. You might set it for 72 and find it's just the fan, but later on it suddenly turns the A/C on, or even the heater. And what's the difference between 72 and 73? I don't know or care what the Farenheit degree reading is, I just know I want fan, A/C, or heat. Also I often like a gentle breeze blowing on me, but some ACC systems regulate fan speed and there's often not a good way of getting it the way I want.

Basically, I've driven cars with automatic climate control, and I tend to constantly be adjusting it and fidgeting with it because it keeps turning A/C on or off or altering fan speed. With manual climate control, on the other hand, I never need to tamper with it -- I set it when I get in the car and that's it. Sometimes I decide I'm a bit too hot or too cool, in which case I adjust it once and that's that.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Great feedback and can understand. Thx

Old 10-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by lkewin
Great feedback and can understand. Thx
Ha, I am not sure I do. I find the opposite is true. My current vehicle I am constantly adjusting the temperature (based on if it's cloudy or not, when you first get in it needs to be on high but then when it cools off you need to turn it down).

I had it in my Acura and never adjusted the temp except to move it to 76 in the summer and 74 in the winter.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:01 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Automatic Climate Control ?

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Ha, I am not sure I do. I find the opposite is true. My current vehicle I am constantly adjusting the temperature (based on if it's cloudy or not, when you first get in it needs to be on high but then when it cools off you need to turn it down).

I had it in my Acura and never adjusted the temp except to move it to 76 in the summer and 74 in the winter.
Hi AZMerf; I agree with you on this completely. You set temp. and forget it because it does it's thing auto. and you can forget it.

Later;

Terry