Bernardi extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Bernardi Honda Care extended warranty

I was wondering if anyone here got their HondaCare extended warranty from Bernardi and if it met your expectations? I know Ikewin mentioned Bernardi in another thread but don't know if he ended up getting it or not. I've read many positive comments about them on Edmunds and haven't yet heard a negative one, but thought I'd just ask here before I plop down a grand.

I think I'm going to get the 8 year maximum one as I really think I'll keep this car that long, but even if not, the remainder should be worth something when I sell it.

Warranty price quote for a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid:
7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $526.00) OR ($0 deductible = $626.00)
7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $701.00) OR ($0 deductible = $801.00)
7 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $801.00) OR ($0 deductible = $901.00)
8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $781.00) OR ($0 deductible = $881.00)
8 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $881.00) OR ($0 deductible = $981.00)

Last edited by tarabell; 02-09-2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added "Honda Care" for clarification
Old 02-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Z71
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bernardi extended warranty

I paid $2200 for a warranty for my Mercedes E-320 4matic from Warranty Gold. They went belly up and I'm out the dough. Save your money or at best get the Hondacare.

Rick

Old 02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
G.H. Contributor

Originally Posted by tarabell
I was wondering if anyone here got their extended warranty from Bernardi and if it met your expectations? I know Ikewin mentioned Bernardi in another thread but don't know if he ended up getting it or not. I've read many positive comments about them on Edmunds and haven't yet heard a negative one, but thought I'd just ask here before I plop down a grand.

I think I'm going to get the 8 year maximum one as I really think I'll keep this car that long, but even if not, the remainder should be worth something when I sell it.

Warranty price quote for a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid:
7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $526.00) OR ($0 deductible = $626.00)
7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $701.00) OR ($0 deductible = $801.00)
7 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $801.00) OR ($0 deductible = $901.00)
8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $781.00) OR ($0 deductible = $881.00)
8 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $881.00) OR ($0 deductible = $981.00)
Hi;

Here is a Thread that I did some Months ago about Hondas Extended Warranty.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ended+warranty

I don't live in California but I thought you might want to read what someone else was doing as far as the Honda Extended Warranty was Concerned.

I would get the 8/120K with Zero-Deductible. If then you need it there is No-More Money out of your Pocket.

Good-Move;

Terry

BTW; Never-Ever Purchase any Ext. Warr. but Hondas; PERIOD!!!!!

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-09-2006 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added a Comment:
Old 02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot to indicate this is a Honda Care warranty. I fixed the post.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Terry, I am still shopping for a warranty, but not real sure if I will get one or not. On the advise of another person on GH, I contacted Moss Honda http://www.mosshonda.com/ There web site is not as slick as Bernardi but I just emailed them and within 10 minutes had a reply with the lowest price yet - $875 for 8/100 w/ $0 deductible, so pretty much the same as Bernardi.

Like some in the other threads about warranty say, you buy a Honda for the reliability so do not need an extended warranty, which I am sure is true, but the Hybrid parts (computer, battery, motor, etc) are fairly new and what I would really get the ext. warranty to cover. Best I can tell from talking with my local dealer, and Tom Spizuoco at Bernardi the HondaCare warranty DOES NOT remove the pro-rate on the IMA battery, so after 3 years you start kicking in money to get the battery replaced (40% on the 37 month..all the way up to 95% at 8 years). Since the details are in the contract and you cannot see that till you buy the warranty (60 day Money back if not satisifed so no loss for looking I guess) I really do not know what the contract says. Does anyone have a Honda Care warranty that could comment if the Hybrid battery is pro-rated even if you have the extended warranty ?

I am not sure how much they have improved the batteries since the first ones, but I belong to a Yahoo Group for HCH and have seen several posts (several out of 1000's of cars is still really good) of owners needing to replace the batteries at 3 and 4 years. One owner had the warning light come on 2 days before he would have had the car for 3 yrs, so just squeaked in under the wire to get a new battery for Free!

Good luck Terry and let me know what you end up doing or if you

Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Bernardi extended warranty

Originally Posted by lkewin
Terry, I am still shopping for a warranty, but not real sure if I will get one or not. On the advise of another person on GH, I contacted Moss Honda http://www.mosshonda.com/ There web site is not as slick as Bernardi but I just emailed them and within 10 minutes had a reply with the lowest price yet - $875 for 8/100 w/ $0 deductible, so pretty much the same as Bernardi.

Like some in the other threads about warranty say, you buy a Honda for the reliability so do not need an extended warranty, which I am sure is true, but the Hybrid parts (computer, battery, motor, etc) are fairly new and what I would really get the ext. warranty to cover. Best I can tell from talking with my local dealer, and Tom Spizuoco at Bernardi the HondaCare warranty DOES NOT remove the pro-rate on the IMA battery, so after 3 years you start kicking in money to get the battery replaced (40% on the 37 month..all the way up to 95% at 8 years). Since the details are in the contract and you cannot see that till you buy the warranty (60 day Money back if not satisifed so no loss for looking I guess) I really do not know what the contract says. Does anyone have a Honda Care warranty that could comment if the Hybrid battery is pro-rated even if you have the extended warranty ?

I am not sure how much they have improved the batteries since the first ones, but I belong to a Yahoo Group for HCH and have seen several posts (several out of 1000's of cars is still really good) of owners needing to replace the batteries at 3 and 4 years. One owner had the warning light come on 2 days before he would have had the car for 3 yrs, so just squeaked in under the wire to get a new battery for Free!

Good luck Terry and let me know what you end up doing or if you
Hi;

My understanding is, that the ext. warr. {Does-Not) cover the Battery Pack and this does Bother me. I am still going to purchase the 8/120K Ext. Warr. W/Zero Deduc. and I will share with you my {Personal Thoughts} on this.

I work for a dealer and I know for a Fact that one of the Very 1st Questions that a Customer gets ask after the Factory Warranty Expires is?

Did you Purchase the Ext. Warr.? If the answer is "NO". I can tell you that just generally speaking, you are not going to get (IMO) at that point much Help/Assistance from the Manufacture.

So I will, on the front End go ahead and Spend the Extra Dollars for the {Honda Extended Warranty} With Zero Deductible. Then if something does come up later with the car I can at least have in my mind some Bargain Room. It shows Honda that you purchased their car and Their Ext. warranty and I think that if they are going to Help/Assist anyone, it is going to be the customer that Stepped up and did their best to Protect themselves.

Well, thats my thinking on this and I really have to say from what I have witnessed at the dealership I have been at for the past 10-Yrs. that my thinking on this subject is Extremely-Sound.

Protect One's Self:

Terry

Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

I got a warranty from Bernardi. It seems fine. It's Honda Care and 8/120 with 0 ded. I had originally paid about $1500 from my dealer here in San Diego (Escondido, actually) and it was only 7/100, also with 0 ded. The Bernardi Honda Care was $975. They had originally said $925, but upped it when I told them it was a Hybrid. I got my receipt after about a week and the warranty brochure came after another week.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by dlingner
I got my receipt after about a week and the warranty brochure came after another week.
Thanks Dave. So can you confirm the pro-rate on the NiMh battery still applies after 3 years, even with the extended warranty? i.e. the extended warranty does not provide any additional coverage (above and beyond the manufacturer warranty) ?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your comments, and I agree with your philosophy Tiger, especially as you seem to know the dealers' point of view.

I decided to do some homework so I called the Honda Care customer service line (1-800-999-5901) and dug out my warranty booklet.

The Honda Care rep was able to clear up some confusion about which "battery" we're talking about here. The battery under the hood (the 12V) is the one that is pro-rated after 3 years and is not covered by the extended warranty. However, the IMA battery (in the back seat) is fully covered for 8 years/80,000 miles by the standard warranty that comes with the car. My standard warranty booklet agrees with what Honda Care said and shows both the 8yr/80k coverage for the IMA battery (on last page) and describes the 3yr/prorated coverage for the other battery (pg 37).

The sample Honda Care contract is also consistent. If you go to the link:
http://www.jayhondacare.com/Sample_Contract.htm
and scroll down to WHAT IS NOT COVERED it says:
"...wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; steering wheel; belts;...."

So buying the Honda Care extended warranty for 8 years/120,000 miles isn't really adding anything significant as far as the IMA battery is concerned. In fact it becomes irrelevant if you are in CA, CT, MA, ME, NY or VT--- my warranty booklet shows the IMA battery coverage in those states is extended to 10 yrs/150k miles.

I hope this is helpful. I got basically the same quote from Tiger's guy at GaryForceHonda as Bernardi, so it's a coin toss now as to who to go with.

Last edited by tarabell; 02-13-2006 at 07:10 AM. Reason: clarification and error in dealer name
Old 02-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I went with Tigerhonaker's dealer. He was just as nice and helpful as the guy at Bernardi, and actually...$6 less . I gave him all my info by phone. All he wanted was me to email him a photo of my dash showing my mileage.

I also gave him some heat and told him Tiger's boat needs to row faster!

I did call the dealer who sold me my car to see if they would match the internet quotes I got and there was no way, he told me. Apparently at some dealers like theirs, warranty profit is kept distinct from the car sale profit and they have certain thresholds they can't go under. So he could not sell me a Honda Care EW for less than $300-over-cost no matter how much I paid for my car. They appreciated that I gave them first chance to take my money but had to say they recommended I go with the other guy instead.

Quick Reply: Bernardi extended warranty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands