Brake Switch Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
No Spin Enthusiast
Default Brake Switch Recall

I was on Owner Link the other day and I always check the recalls and found a safety recall on my 2007 hybrid. I found it interesting that it's dated in September 2007 but I never received notice in the mail about it. Maybe the mail is just slow. Anyway, I just got back from the dealer where they replaced the brake switch under warranty.
They also checked my tire wear when I inquired about the camber issue (service bulletin 08-001). My tires are wearing normally and I have 19000 miles on the car. The dealer said that they have to document / take pictures of the tires to show the problem. It doesn't seem to affect all of the cars.

Here is the info on the recall:

It says 2006 Civics but the dealer called up my VIN number and it was listed. (As MSantos says, it doesn't hurt to take the car in and let them check for software updates, recalls, etc. once in awhile).

Dear Civic or Civic Hybrid Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
What is the reason for this notice? Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has decided that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2006 model year Civics. During vehicle assembly, the telescopic steering column mechanism may have been over-lubricated with silicone grease. Over time, some of this extra grease may drip on the brake light switch and the brake light switch may fail. Failure may result in a loss of brake lights and an increased risk that your vehicle could be struck from the rear. In addition, a failed brake light switch could prevent shifting the transmission from the park position (applies to vehicles with an automatic transmission).
What should you do? Call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. The dealer will replace the brake light switch and install a protective cover over the switch. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for half a day to give the dealer some flexibility in scheduling.

ChrisG

Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
"Manalo"
Default Re: Brake Switch Recall

Was aware of this when they changed out my rear control arms. This is a good post and a must for prevention

Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

the reason for the recall is a small amount of grease drips from above onto the brake switch. the repair actually involves a new switch and new plug for the harness into the switch and a boot that surrounds the switch and plug to prevent dust dirt or grease contamination. i havent seen one that is actually bad at my shop yet but i have performed many of these repairs. somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 or 80 i would guess

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

I just had my recall done last Friday 3/28 by accident, I was getting my 30k mi. service. Service tech said that mailers were just beginning to trickle out.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdyer_2000
I just had my recall done last Friday 3/28 by accident, I was getting my 30k mi. service. Service tech said that mailers were just beginning to trickle out.
i find that hard to believe as that recall has been out for quite some time. we are already over the rush of them that comes after the mailers. where do you live if you dont mind me asking?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just got my notice this week. H

Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Energy Independence

I'm with bullet4 here. I got my notice eons ago, and had the work done way back then. Before Christmas, I'm sure.
If people (like Harold) are just now getting their notices, then there must be some ORDERED MAILING going on. Maybe the 2006's (like mine) got the notices first, or maybe they just now expanded the scope of the recall.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Steve, my HCH is a 2006 as well. H

Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Energy Independence

That's just weird then, Harold.
I just looked mine up. It was dated "September 2007". I got the work done on November 2, 2007 (along with the pinched IMA cable recall).

Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Definitely some sort of ordered mailing going on... I checked Owner Link when I saw this post, and sure enough, my '06 has this recall, but I've not received anything in the mail.

Quick Reply: Brake Switch Recall

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands