Canadain winter driving!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Canadain winter driving!

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and every weekend, even during winter, I drive 2 hours north to cottage country in Georgian Bay. I have fallen in love with the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, but I'm wondering if it's a practical car for Canadian winters? I expect the gas mileage to go down during winter, but is there enough heat generated for occupants and defrosting windows?

Hybridwannabe.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadain winter driving!

I got my Hybrid last week, and although it hasn't been to cold yet, I am getting about 5.4L/100km. I'll keep you posted on changes as the temperature drops.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bogdan; What do you think, this is the 50's? lol just kidding. With the way cars are built today they have everything you need to keep all your buds toasty warm, and keep the windows clear. Im not sure about the weather where you are but right now its 4 degrees F in chicago, and my 05 Prius keeps me nice and warm. Obviously dont expext to get the same milage as if it were 70 F outside but im still gettting better than my 04 Pacifica so im plenty happy. Also any car has to warm up a bit before the defrosters will crank out the heat. good luck Dean

Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Enthusiastically Active

15 degrees currently here in Indianapolis, no problems with defrost or heat... works just like every other modern car. I bought the car 3 weeks ago, and since it has been windy with average daytime high's in the low 30's (0 celsius) and I have been getting in around 37 miles/gallon.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast

It is currently 2 degrees F in beautiful Lakeville, Minnesota. Overnight low was -5.
My 06 HCH runs great, warms up in 5-10 minutes, better than my last vehicle. I have had the car for about a month and have had several days were it has snowed, the stock tires have had no problems. I am getting about 41 MPG in these conditions, not too bad.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 AM
World's First Hybrid

Also, something I just noticed on my 05-HCH, when the HVAC control is set to "floor/defrost" or the "defrost" postion, the rear window defogger is also enabled automatically. Something to think about if you are wondering where the power went and another reason for auto-stop not to engage. This info is probably in the owner's manual but I guess I missed it. I wonder how long the rear defog stays on before shutting itself off? Have to check the manual.

My MPG's have dropped about 10% now that the cold wx has set in. Temps in the mid 20's-30's today with more snow expected for tomorrow. Car performs very well in snow as I suspected but I shall put it to the test tomorrow with another 8" expected in SE Mass. Tire pressures are at 40 as usual. I'm pretty sure that higher tire pressures help the car in snow.

Ralph

Old 12-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybridwannabe --

Hybrids have been toodling around Canada happily for years now. So long as you realize that published government FE numbers are during warm weather and cold weather numbers are quite a bit lower as to be expected with /any/ car that runs on a combustion engine, you are good to go.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Also, something I just noticed on my 05-HCH, when the HVAC control is set to "floor/defrost" or the "defrost" postion, the rear window defogger is also enabled automatically. Something to think about if you are wondering where the power went and another reason for auto-stop not to engage. This info is probably in the owner's manual but I guess I missed it. I wonder how long the rear defog stays on before shutting itself off? Have to check the manual.

My MPG's have dropped about 10% now that the cold wx has set in. Temps in the mid 20's-30's today with more snow expected for tomorrow. Car performs very well in snow as I suspected but I shall put it to the test tomorrow with another 8" expected in SE Mass. Tire pressures are at 40 as usual. I'm pretty sure that higher tire pressures help the car in snow.

Ralph
i have noticed my rear window defogger coming on automatically, too, even wihout the front defrost being on. i looked in the manual and couldn't find anyplace that it discussed it working that way.

as for temps......icky......i was going to whine big time about minnesota today, since it was about -5 when i left the house. my car was quite warm, however, i hardly ever turn the heat dial all the way up. my mileage is tanking, though. it's going to be a struggle to maintain 50 all winter like i had hoped, at least not when it's this cold. once it warmed up and i got on the flat part of my commute it was reading about 46, which is acceptable with snow tires and all.......think what you would be getting in a non-hybrid card......