GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Honda Motor Company/Acura > Honda Civic Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2003 Civic Hybrid
Default Car Bucking

I wanted to see if any one could tell me what the problem is with my car. It seems to buck when I brake sometimes and travel at low speeds. It also seems to hesitate at stoplights after I take my foot off of the brake. It seems to take a couple of seconds to get going. The bucking problem seemed to stop after I got my catalytic converter (not sure if I spelled it right) replaced about 2 months ago, but now the problem has come back. Can someone maybe give me some ideas of why this is happening?

Thanks
Anthony
Old 07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2003 HCH CVT
Default Re: Car Bucking

Have them check the EGR valve. Same thing happen to me and that was the problem.

Howard
Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT

A question about this ... do you start to see an unusual drop in mpg before the bucking gets severe? I am just wondering because my car does some minor bucking on rare occasions, but I would think my car is too young for that unless there is something crazy going on.

Hybrid Cars Mileage
Old 07-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

hweldon: I actually had the EGR valve replaced in March, so it should be that again I hope.

bluesesshomaru17: Unfortunately I haven't paid attention to see if there is an unusual drop in mpg before it happens. I have noticed that the rpms drop fairly fast before it bucks and will keep going up and down as the car bucks.

Thanks for the help so far guys
Anthony
Old 07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2003 HCH CVT & Side Airbags

Does your car judder or shudder during initial acceleration from a stop? And is your HCH a CVT?

If so, have your local Honda dealership look up K.B. Ref# 11560 (Title: CVT SHUDDER @ACCEL R&D PROCEDURE (R&R FLUID, BURNISH))

The procedure in the above ref explains how to address this issue.

Last edited by livvie; 07-20-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 03 HCH

Just replaced mine, ERG valve, $260.

Visit the GreenHybrid.com Real Hybrid Mileage Database
Old 07-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by livvie
Does your car judder or shudder during initial acceleration from a stop? And is your HCH a CVT?

If so, have your local Honda dealership look up K.B. Ref# 11560 (Title: CVT SHUDDER @ACCEL R&D PROCEDURE (R&R FLUID, BURNISH))

The procedure in the above ref explains how to address this issue.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I can't say this enough.
I'm SO glad that it's not just me, and FINALLY I have something in hand to take to the service folks at my local dealer to wave in their faces. How many times have I asked them about this problem? ....and every time there's "Nothing wrong."
So, my car is due for the 60k tune up, and I will take this to them at the same time. I hope it's still under warranty! I am going to argue with them if they tell me it's not, since I noticed this problem and asked them about it first about 40k ago....
--A
Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2003 HCH CVT & Side Airbags

Keep in mind this issue will take car of most of the shudder but if it is really bad, the start clutch may have to be replaced. I forgot all the details but if the above solution doesn't solve it, you have bigger problems.

btw... K.B. = Honda Knowledge Base.

Last edited by livvie; 07-24-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

livvie: My car isn't shuddering, it is just bucking when I am braking or traveling low speeds. I noticed today that when I was traveling about 10-20mph the rpms would drop real fast before I hit the brakes. This would make the car buck. It kind of felt like I was slamming on the brakes. My HCH does have a CVT.thanks for the help so far.
Anthony
Old 07-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid w/NAV, Magnetic Pearl

Mine is shuttering when accelerating from a stop. Its almost as though the engine is misfiring

Old 07-23-2006, 06:34 PM

Tags
08, bucking, bulletin, car, civic, erg, hch, honda, hybrid, judder, low, mode, rpm, service, silverado, surging, yukon