"Catching" when accelerating. Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default "Catching" when accelerating. Safe?

My car is at 93,000 miles (not too high right) but lately i have noticed hesitation on acceleration. The (pardon me I know very little about cars so i don't know the vernacular) thing which has numbers on it that i was told to keep between a 1-2, when driving goes all the way between 3-4 just to get to 40mph. It is kinda scary when trying to merge on the highway and i can't speed up. There has been lots of rain and flooding on the roads and i am wondering if this could be water damage of some sort. Any guidance would be much appreciated thanks.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Catching" when accelerating. Safe?

Has your CVT oil been change when the MM tells you to? CVT may not be shifting down soon enough causing engine to hesitate? Only guessing here!
Cheers;

H

Old 04-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Harold thanks for responding. The oil well, I have it serviced at the dealer and I assume they are keeping up with that but the last time I felt anything like this is when I had the CVT replaced. A manufactor error I guess, so Honda replaced the whole thing at no cost. But maybe it could be the CVT again. I am a little worried about highway driving now because I live in Massachusetts (we are not known for our graciousness while driving) and when you merge into traffic you better pick up the pace. I was even coming off a side street friday night i took my foot off the break and was going to turn onto the main street and it was so scary because i pressed the gas and nothing happened other than nudging slightly forward because the break was off. Thank goodness the traffic wasn't too bad. If it had occurred during a heavier volume of traffic there definetly would have been an accident.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I suppose a number of things could cause this type of response IE -Spark plugs, eight in all. dirty injectors, EGC valve dirty, and so on. I would have it checked out ritak7 just for peace of mind. They can plug in and make sure everything is functioning AOK. I would suspect the CVT. 3 gts. of oil will satisfy your mind one way or the other?
Cheers;

H

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Harold. I really appreciate your time. Have a good night. Tomorrow at 7am when the dealer opens I will be giving them a call.