Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Climate Control

I am on my second tank of gas in my new magnetic pearl HCHII. I too suffer the gas mileage gauge bug and find it very disappointing. However I love the rest of the vehicle and seem too be running in the low 40's mpg here in Northern Minnesota winter so far as near as I can tell sans functioning cumulative gauge. 45 mpg actual calclulated by odometer readings on first tank.

My question is "What are optimal climate control settings for fuel economy in winter?" I have been making sure to punch the ac button to make sure "ac off" displays whenever changing modes and trying to stay out of defrost as much as possible. I am not sure if best to use recirc or fresh air settings and just how to use the system the most effectively and economically. Anybody using auto with ac off? Look forward to some tips.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: Climate Control

Originally Posted by biglakerider
I am on my second tank of gas in my new magnetic pearl HCHII. I too suffer the gas mileage gauge bug and find it very disappointing. However I love the rest of the vehicle and seem too be running in the low 40's mpg here in Northern Minnesota winter so far as near as I can tell sans functioning cumulative gauge. 45 mpg actual calclulated by odometer readings on first tank.

My question is "What are optimal climate control settings for fuel economy in winter?" I have been making sure to punch the ac button to make sure "ac off" displays whenever changing modes and trying to stay out of defrost as much as possible. I am not sure if best to use recirc or fresh air settings and just how to use the system the most effectively and economically. Anybody using auto with ac off? Look forward to some tips.
Hi;

Do you know the "Build-Date" of your HCH ll?

Terry

Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Climate Control

Originally Posted by biglakerider
I am not sure if best to use recirc or fresh air settings
If it's very cold outside you'll save energy by reheating the warm air in the car rather than heating cold air from the outside. But don't choke yourself. Let some outside air in if it feels stuffy.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Climate Control

a quick blast of cold air on the windshield every now and then eliminates the fog for me. I don't use a/c, i turn it off when defrost is on as well. I set the temp to coldest temp 62? but I like the cold, so 62 is comfortable no matter the outside temp and for me, most of the time the fan doesn't have to blow. it gets to that temp and sustains it rather easily, especially with recirculation on. I guess the general rule would be as cool as comfortable when cold out and as warm as comfortable in the heat, but I would say be comfortable and enjoy your new car!!! 45 mpg is really great for the weather and a new (not broken in) car.