cold air without air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

I try to use the air contitioning as little as possible as you all probably do. My problem is that when it is decently "cool" outside (I stick my hand out the window, I get a nice cool breeze) in the HCH with the air on 60 (air conditioning off) the air coming out is still uncomfortably warm. Any one else have this problem?

keeping the windows up is better for your mileage, air conditioning off is better for mileage, sweating inside my car while it is perfectly nice outside is not good for my mileage....

Old 05-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When I have passengers I usually set the climate control to full auto and around 76 degrees when it's hot out.

By myself on my commute if I get to hot I'll usually work the A/C on while on a decline so not so much extra fuel is required.

As for the venting systems being hot I park my car outside under a carport in the shade. With that said when I first start out the air coming out is warm, about the same as the outside air. I haven't noticed any difference.
Temps here in GA are mid to high 80's in the heat of the afternoon.
I wonder if the control is out of adjustment?

Are you getting any hot airflow leakage from the heater core area?
If it were me I'd put a thermometer in front of the vent and get a good reading while the engine is cold. Then with the temp **** set to coldest I'd keep the car parked right where it is and let the engine warm up and check to see if the temp has increased from the vents. If I saw a substantial increase I'd have the dealer check it out.

In my case I am very involved while driving watching how the vehicle is performing and anticipating the ever changing conditions. Generally I don't even notice the heat oddly enough until after I've parked and enter the air conditioned building.

You're right though that if it is too hot to be enjoyable you need to cool off.
Steve

Old 06-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I also notice I am suspiciously warm in my car under these conditions:

Windows closed.
Outside temp cool enough to not need the air conditioner.
Air conditioner is, in fact, off.
Recirculate button set to let outside air in. (lamp off)
Fan set to a low speed.
Thermostat dial set fully CCW - to the coldest, blueist setting.

When I open my window I am surprised how cool it actually is outside.
It seems under these conditions the car should just let unchanged outside air in, but something is warming it up a little

???

For the record I have about 2600 miles on my 2 month old 2004 HCH in Southern California.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributor ($)

How are the seats in the HCH for heat retention?
It seems like without A/C on in my Insight, my lower beck seems to get the hottest.

Maybe I need one of those cheesy looking seat mat/cushions that supposedly help keep the air circulation. They're made out of straw/plastic mesh material?

Old 08-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Best circulation I've found without A/C that works pretty darned well:

Start out with all windows closed.
Crack the right two windows about 1-2 inches. This causes a "whirlwind" effect inside the car, good driver's side breeze and the noise level isn't bad at all. Want more breeze? Crack the back-right window down a bit, leave the front right window alone.

If you have a moonroof, substitute the moonroof for the front-right window.