Dead Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Dead Civic

Hi folks. First post. Just got my first hybrid a couple of months ago, and I wished I would have found this site before I bought the car. I might have made a different decision (just kidding). It's been ideal for my long commute.

Anyway, hoping one of you hybrid experts can help me out. For whatever reason my wife likes to turn headlights on during bright sunny days (even though the car has DT running lights). She left them on and of course you know the outcome. Charge the battery up to nearly 100% per the charger readings and get nothing. No door ding, no lights flashing, no click click. Nothing. Absolutely nothing in the car will come on. I also tried to jump start it to give a little extra boost. Still nothing.

I thought the battery was dead, but apparently the whole car is dead. Any chance there is a simple explanation why after recharging the battery the car remains completely unresponsive? Even if the 12V battery is completely exhausted I should at least get a whimper, so I'm starting to get concerned.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead Civic

Nevermind folks. I solved the mystery. Started looking around at the fuses and the 100 amp main fuse under the hood had blown.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for giving us your solution, some place i would not even have considered checking if i had a dead battery!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jacopo
Started looking around at the fuses and the 100 amp main fuse under the hood had blown.
It takes a heck of a lot to blow a 100A fuse - a dead battery won't do it. I would at the very least carry some spare fuses for a while, and when you have time, while wearing thick neoprene gloves, wiggle all the wires under the hood (but NOT the high voltage orange ones, don't go near those), to see if you have a worn wire somewhere that is shorting out to the chassis.