Difference between hybrid battery cells

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
JNH
Enthusiast
Default Difference between hybrid battery cells

Hi, I need some help from the hybrid batteries guru.

I've been in the car business since a long time, owned a first gen Insight, first Gen Civic and now a second gen Insight. I've been modifying cars for drag race and already swapped a Honda V6 in older gens Civic.

I have that crazy idea to swap a V6 in my old first gen Civic and adding the V6 IMA from the Accord.

I can put my hand on a complete Accord hybrid and the only thing that make me hesitating is the hybrid battery cells.

Here are the facts: I found out that Insight and Civic cells are the same but not the one from the Accord cause they come in pair already packed.

But what if they had the same specs? Same mAh and mΩ ? Then I just need to keep the cells from my Civic and use the IMA computer from the Accord...

Please share what you know,

Thank you

Last edited by JNH; 03-27-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Difference between hybrid battery cells

The insight and civic cells are not the same. They are constructed differently. The Civic sticks are lower IR than the Insight.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Accord. I've never seen one of their batteries personally. They are listed as 6000mAh - likely less because the Accord IMA motor is more powerful than either the Insight or Civic at 18.5hp vs. 13.4hp for the Insight/Civic.

You should be able to do what you propose with Civic sticks. I wouldn't use Insight sticks due to their higher IR.

I would advise caution and experimentation on mixing accord sticks with Civic sticks. The BCM manages the battery based on the 10 tap voltages, and the performance differences of the two different sticks may manifest as reduced available capacity.

Basically, the question is should you mix a pair or keep pairs of the same type. Results vary.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 PM
JNH
Enthusiast

I would not mix pairs of Civic or Accord, only use the ones from the same car.

From what you say, I would be using the Civic sticks as they are listed at 6000mAh wich is the same as the Accord sticks according to your stats. I'd be using the Accord hybrid ECU to control the IMA motor...

Any other toughts? Somebody tested the Accord sticks?

Thank you

Old 03-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Whatever reference you are using that says 6000 for Civic is incorrect. Civic is 6500 at least according to Honda and the closet full of tested sticks that I have. The Accord sticks are potentially identical but rated at 6000Ah to reflect the higher power demand.

Mixing and matching isn't going to be that big of a deal, but it's worth experimenting to find what is optimal. Having one of each on the same tap will get the best performance, but it may shorten life. Having sticks on the same taps but a mix within the pack will probably give the longest life but have somewhat less available capacity (butt dyno might notice, but fuel economy likely won't). There's a very good chance you won't notice a difference either way.

I have not personally tested any, but I have access to some test data that shows they are highly similar to Civic sticks.