Disk player will not play WMA files.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Disk player will not play WMA files.

Disk player will not play WMA files. Does anyone else have this problem? I burnt the files from Windows Media Player to a cd rom. Player sees the songs goes to play them says 'format'.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disk player will not play WMA files.

Is it supposed to support WMA? I thought they were still stuck in the dyno days of music CD format only.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Site Founder

WM stands for Windows Media. Windows is a computer operating system so its specific filetypes aren't going to be compatible with car audio hardware by other manufacturers. Most CD burners that I know of will convert to a generic audio CD format automatically. Make sure that's what you're doing and they'll work fine.

Last edited by Jason; 02-07-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I burned in .mp3 format and it works great. Haven't tried .wma yet, but, personally, I don't see the need since I prefer the .mp3 anyway.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Make sure you have the newist Winblows media player 9.1 and then reburn them. It is a compression tool. also if you have a setting ticked to burn a lead in that could be messing with the player.

I havent done a WMA burn to see if it will work in my navi unit. But mp3's seem to work very good! It would be great if it would read dvd disc packed with mp3's But it wont. has to be the 700 meg cd-r media.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just ripped Tom Petty,, Full Moon Fever to WMA on CD-r and it worked fine in the Navi stereo in my Civic. Make sure you set it to rip for portable devices. I used 128Kbps compression.

I must say the whole windblows media play interface sucks. I use CDex for riping my mp3's. Simple, fast and to the point. Not mental ************ like the windblows junk.

Good luck

Old 02-08-2006, 05:20 AM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by Jason
WM stands for Windows Media. Windows is a computer operating system so its specific filetypes aren't going to be compatible with car audio hardware by other manufacturers. Most CD burners that I know of will convert to a generic audio CD format automatically. Make sure that's what you're doing and they'll work fine.
Actually it is "WMA" and it stands for: "Windows Media Audio" a proprietary compressed audio file format developed by Microsoft. A thorough discussion of the WMA file format can be found on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio

WMA files can be played on numerous car audio devices (as well as a myriad of portable player devices). My 06 Prius for one, the after market Pioneer car stereo I had in my 05 HCH, and according to Honda's spec sheets, the 06HCH. (Heck I have software on my Palm TX that play WMA files) In fact, it is in Microsoft's best interest to license the technology to as many people as possible. Look on Microsoft's website for a discussion of the "Playsforsure" technology.

As for the CD burner converting file formats, are you talking about the burner hardware itself? Or, the software that controls the hardware? It is the later that actually does the conversion, not the former.

Back to the original posters dilemma, it could any of the following: Faulty player hardware in the HCH, improper bit density of the encoded CD, DRM** protected content, or ???, not enough info in the original post.

**DRM = Digital Rights Management, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

Old 02-08-2006, 05:28 AM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by ScarGo
Disk player will not play WMA files. Does anyone else have this problem? I burnt the files from Windows Media Player to a cd rom. Player sees the songs goes to play them says 'format'.
Not enough info to troubleshoot, so?

What version of "Windows Media Player" did you use to burn the CD?

Were the songs ripped from a CD? (Was it a Sony CD that incorporates the protection technology reported recently in the news)

--or--

Were the songs downloaded from an on-line music store?

If downloaded from a store which one?

Need this info to trouble shoot further.