Econ button

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Econ button

How does the Econ button make the A/C operate differently while driving (not stopping)I assumed it only did anything while stopped ?

pete

Old 09-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

according to the manual, i believe, it says that the A/C takes longer to get cold with the Econ button on (waiting for the engine to get warmed up i presume which saves gas)

Old 09-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoyalF
So, the Econ button engaged provides for autostop when either the A/C is running or the Defrost (with fan on) is running.
I can only speak to my 03 HCH. The Econ button enables autostop when using the climate control, not specifically the A/C or defroster (you could just be blowing in cool air from the outside without running the A/C - this all still applies). When the fan dial is on AUTO, or a forced fan speed, then the Econ button matters (regardless of what your temp or A/C settings are). Econ is on, your climate control stops when you autostop. Econ is off, climate control runs because the engine stays on.

When I turn the fan OFF (i.e. turning the climate control off), the Econ button automatically goes off. However, the car still autostops (given the other conditions - outside temp +41 degrees, brakes, etc.).

I view the Econ button as being there to tell the car, "yes, turn off climate control when autostopped" or "do not autostop at all (because I want the climate control to keep running)". Could be heat you want, or the A/C.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
'00 Durango, '01 Intrepid

Thanks, Pete, for asking the ECON question. I wasn't clear on what the button did either, but was afraid to ask a question that I thought everyone else already knew the answer to. My '03 HCH is scheduled to be delivered to my house in 2 hours, so I'm getting excited now.

Shawn