First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default First Oil Change

I will shortly be doing my first at-home oil change on my '03 HCH. I have done many oil changes on my other cars throughout the years and wanted to know if their is anything special that I should know. The car did not come with a manual so I will post what I think should be the correct procedure and ask my learned collegues to make any corrections/suggestions:

1) Let the engine warm up.
2) Remove the plastic undercover - any tips on how to take off those clips without breaking them would be appreciated.
3) Take out the drain bolt and drain oil.
4) Take off filter
5) Let everything drain for half an hour
6) Clean off threads for filter and plug
7) Reinstall cleaned plug - I read elsewhere that I need a new crush washer
8) Wipe a little clean oil on the filter ring rubber and install, quarter turn more after hand tight
9) Refill crankcase - how much oil?
10) Start car and look for leaks
11) Reinstall plastic shield

Are there any electronics that have to be reset? I believe I read that a warning light comes on when maintenance is required.
Thanks!!

Old 12-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Oil Change

Bill,

Sounds like you've done your homework. These are the basic steps. I've changed the oil once on our new 05 HCH, so I don't remember if the filter plug has a magnet built into it or not. If so, you want to wipe off the metalic sludge that clings to it.

Other than using a high quality oil, perhaps a synthetic oil, and a high quality oil filter, I think you're good to go.

As to "reseting" the maintenance light, I believe you just press the button on by the odometer.

Mike

Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 PM

What's the benefit of doing one's own oil change? I mean it costs $40 to get it done at the oil change place.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
What's the benefit of doing one's own oil change? I mean it costs $40 to get it done at the oil change place.
DIY oil change is not for everyone, but for those that don't mind briefly lying on the ground/pavement, have the tools on hand and don't mind getting their hands slightly dirty, it can be cost effective and conveinient.

5 quarts of premium synthetic oil = $30.00 (1/2 quart left over)
1 premium filter= $6.00
time commitment start to finish= 20 minutes
can do it anytime, spur of the moment...no trip to the dealership or lube shop (scheduling it and then 40 minutes round trip, waiting turn and for the job to be done...probably 1.5 to 2 hours total)

When I purchased my HAH from a large dealership (largest in the southeast), I inquired about the $40 oil changes and the service manager said they use a very good oil. When I asked what brand he replied proudly...it's Quaker State! (dino oil of course). Anytime I took previous cars to the local lube shop, I always found the crankcase to be overfilled or underfilled when I got home, neither a good thing.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeup, need a new crush washer each time. You nead about 3.8 quarts of oil... and there is a tool designed to take out those clips. It looks like pinchers with flat ends that grab both sides of the clip. Even with the tool those clips are brittle so make sure to warm them up (hair dryer maybe).

Old 12-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have just always enjoyed doing the basic maintenance on a car myself. I usually change the air and cabin filters, plugs, PCV valve, wipers, transmission fluid, battery check, tire pressure and oil. I only do the easy things and I find that it is a good way to get to know the car better - sounds like a relationship. I had better not tell my wife!

Bill

Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Peace of Mind. You've heard it before, "If you want something done right, do it yourself". I HATE letting anyone touch my vehicles to do any sort of MX on them. That being said, I come from a family full of mechanics so I am very critical about how my car is maintained. You said it exactly Bill, it's sort of a relationship - I know my family gets jealous of the cars sometimes.

The reset of the Service Soon light....worry about that bridge when you get there. I believe you turn ignition on ONE click then hold down the odometer button for 10 seconds until the light flashs. Going off memory so I'm probably wrong. Everything else you got right though. I know I'd hate to pull off those underbody fastners if I had to crawl under the car. I've used 2 small screwdrivers to pull them out, always went to the dealer and bought extra fastners as at least 2 normally always break.

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer

Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Being green ,the correct disposal of the used oil should not be forgotten. You cannot just pour it down the gutter.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: First Oil Change

Be-Aware There is nothing wrong with one doing their own Maintenance, like oil changes and Etc.

However just keep in Mind that especially while your vehicle is under the Factory-Warranty and Honda does not have a Record in their Srvice History as to the Scheduled Oil Changes being Performed by them (Honda-Dealers) that you would be well (Advised) to keep Very-Very good Records and Receipts of when you do the Oil Changes so that if something would happen to the Engine that (Honda) will (Approve-The-Warranty-Work) to Repair the Vehicle.

I know as all of you do that it is Very-Unlikely that you will have a problem with an Engine in a Honda but I think that we all are here to furnish (Helpful) information to each other and that is all this comment is for.

I work at a Dealer and have been there for 10-Yrs. and have seen Warrany Claims (TURNED-DOWN) because the customer/owner did their own oil-changes (Suppose-To-Have) and the (Warrany-Work) was not approved by the Manufacture because the customer did-not have the neccessary receipts to back up their claims as to them doing the oil-changes.

HTH;

Terry

Old 12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Owner's manual has instructions on how to reset the oil life computer. Don't remember off the top of my head...

Quick Reply: First Oil Change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands