Getting Honda to warranty battery before 150k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting Honda to warranty battery before 150k?

I've had lots of practice. I can do a full swap out of a pack in 15-20 minutes, but it's very easy.

Tools:
  • 10mm wrench
  • 3/8" Ratchet
  • 3/8" 10mm socket
  • 3/8" 12mm socket
  • 3/8" T30 Torx
  • cordless drill with 3/8" socket driver for speed.
  • Voltmeter

Instructions:
  1. Get radio or navigation code from dealer if you don't have it already.
  2. Disconnect negative cable from 12V battery using 10mm wrench. While the pack is out of the car, it would be a good time to test your 12V. Anything older than 2 years is suspect in my book.
  3. 2 10mm bolts between upper/lower cushions near seatbelts to remove lower seat foam. Lift up at front to remove.
  4. 2 10mm bolts at bottom of upper seat cushion near door frame. Lift straight up firmly to disengage and pull forward an inch or two to prevent re-engagement and lower seat.
  5. Route seatbelt straps behind cushion and remove cushion exposing IMA panel.
  6. OPTIONAL: re-install lower seat cushion using only the snap in tabs as the front. Big comfort plus here.
  7. Facing panel, route center seatbelt strap to the right side and gently tuck behind panel flange.
  8. Remove masterswitch cover, 2X 10mm bolts.
  9. Switch master off.
  10. Remove 10mm bolt exposed when switch is off.
  11. TAKE GREAT CARE TO AVOID BENDING IMA PANEL. THE PANEL PROVIDES AN AIR SEAL TO ALLOW COOING OF BATTERY AND IMA COMPONENTS.
  12. CAREFULLY remove all T30 torx head screws. Make sure the bit is fully engaged before loosening.
  13. Carefully remove panel from car.
  14. Check voltage across the two main battery terminals. It should be zero. If there is a voltage, it should slowly drop. If terminal voltage is below 12V remove 10mm bolts securing terminal cables and bend them to the left so they will not obstruct the battery when removed.
  15. Disconnect the lower connector and tuck it to the left of the small harness.
  16. Disconnect the orange connector from the BCM and tuck to right (it's attached to the pack)
  17. Remove 4X 12mm bolts at top and bottom of pack.
  18. Flip out pack wire handles. Use handles to lift up and forward to remove from IMA cavity. I find it easy to have right foot outside car, left foot in foot well while doing this. I place it directly on the seat. Move both feet out and lift pack off seat and out of car. Pack weighs about 80#. Mechanic's or other protective gloves will aid in comfort as the wire handles are narrow and cause discomfort to unprotected flesh.

Installation is the reverse of removal. After connecting, start the car and let it idle until is shows either full bars on the battery or charging stops.

That's about it.

Steve