Getting Your California HOV Sticker Early

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Getting Your California HOV Sticker Early

I remember reading that some have gotten their California HOV stickers before they took delivery of their Civics. I'm wondering how they achieved this, being that a liscence plate number is required on the application.

Can you register the vehicle before you take delivery of the car? I've had some dealers tell me this is fine and others telling me that this isn't legal. Now I'm confused. Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting Your California HOV Sticker Early

They've cracked down a bit. They want a valid plate number that you've got after registering the vehicle. Anything else and they'll send the app. back with your check.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting Your California HOV Sticker Early

Originally Posted by tfaz1
I remember reading that some have gotten their California HOV stickers before they took delivery of their Civics. I'm wondering how they achieved this, being that a liscence plate number is required on the application.

Can you register the vehicle before you take delivery of the car? I've had some dealers tell me this is fine and others telling me that this isn't legal. Now I'm confused. Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
I don't think anyone has gotten the stickers before taking delivery of the car. If the dealer hasn't submitted your registration papers - after selling you the car, the DMV will not have a record of the car and will reject the application. Mail in the application only after you know for sure that the dealer has registered your car.

You CAN get the stickers before you have license plates. I did. I wrote "NEW" in the box for license number on the application. There are rumors that the DMV is inconsistent about this, or that they have stopped honoring applications with no license plate numbers. I don't know if that's true.