HCH Settlement - new update!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCH Settlement - new update!

Hey all. I was surprised not to see this on the forum yet, so maybe I'm missing something.

Many of you may have received notice of a HCH Settlement a couple of years ago. After many delays, a new settlement structure has been proposed and now listed on the website:
http://hchsettlement.com/

It's moderately complex, but the new settlement involves one or two cash payments of $100, plus rebates of $1000 or up to 2 x $500 transferable rebates on a new Honda or Acura purchase. Looks to be a lot sweeter than the prior proposal. Note this has not been agreed to by the courts, with a March 16 2012 hearing date.

The claim form is online, so you can submit now if you'd like, although it will not be accepted or logged until the settlement is confirmed.

There is also an option for an ADR (dispute resolution program) which could provide additional compensation, although it does not provide as much cash payments or rebates as an ADR waiver.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH Settlement - new update!

I responded to a similar type of lawsuit filed against a different company for a portion of settlement quite a few years ago. It also promised a reasonable cash payment. About 9 months later I received my portion which was a dirty old nickel taped to a letter. All I did was make myself a wheel in the cog to help pay a despickable ambulance-chaser-type trial lawyer, who I'm sure made a fortune from somebody's mistake.

I personally find the settlement an error for two reasons, as it states within the website:

On March 9, 2007, John True filed a lawsuit against American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (“AHM”), alleging generally that the fuel economy estimates AHM advertised for the Honda Civic Hybrid (“HCH”) could not be achieved under normal driving conditions.
1. Honda Corp does not set efficiency ratings, the EPA does. If John True was not able to meet the EPA rating then his issue is with the EPA which made the rating, not the company that manufactured the car.

This is like taking your kids to see a G rated move to find offensive skin and suing the movie company not the people who rated it, while the movie may be wholy appropriate for a different age group.

2. I personally exceed the old EPA rating within normal driving conditions so I would be doing something fraudulent if I were to be part of this.

The courts should toss it out IMO.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 10-19-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: additional info and formatting
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

good response Georgia!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Enthusiast

I strongly suggest everyone opt out of this settlement offer (even if it is approved by the judge, which it is unlikely, just like the last two settlement offers were.) I read the details and in short, you get some choices:
$100 in cash or,
$1000 transferable coupon towards a new Honda (but NOT a hybrid Honda) or,
$500 NON transferable coupon same restrictions.
It is total crap in by opinion. Reads like lawyers dragging out things to gather more in fees from Honda's deep pockets. OPT OUT if you are smart at all.

In any case, I GOT A FREE IMA pack from Honda Friday Jan 6. It is a reconditioned one (not new) but it is working perfectly. HOWEVER it seems like this is not offered in all markets. I live near Washington DC.

All you need do is go to the Honda dealer and ask about replacing the IMA pack. Make CERTAIN your IMA warning light is on. Be a good idea to go to someplace else to read the error codes yourself first. I like using AdvanceAuto or Autozone (the reading is free there.) If P1449 and P1600 are present have the Honda dealer "evaluate" the pack (maybe a small fee involved in this. It was $54 for me which was refunded after approval was granted) and chances are (if you are in the right market area) the replacement is free and fast. I was hybrid-ing fine the next afternoon! 58 MPG again! Woohoo!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

I figure that this settlement is not near what damages might be. I have had my car since November 2004 and figure that I would like to keep it for another 5 or six years. I have driven it around 100,000 miles and intend on continuing to drive it. I think that a reduced mileage over twelve years should be much greater than someone who owned one of these cars for a week. And, with the price of gas going up the cost of the reduced mpg is growing. Somehow I don't want to buy another Honda. This settlement does not seem like a good one to me.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I responded to a similar type of lawsuit filed against a different company for a portion of settlement quite a few years ago. It also promised a reasonable cash payment. About 9 months later I received my portion which was a dirty old nickel taped to a letter. All I did was make myself a wheel in the cog to help pay a despickable ambulance-chaser-type trial lawyer, who I'm sure made a fortune from somebody's mistake.

I personally find the settlement an error for two reasons, as it states within the website:

1. Honda Corp does not set efficiency ratings, the EPA does. If John True was not able to meet the EPA rating then his issue is with the EPA which made the rating, not the company that manufactured the car.

This is like taking your kids to see a G rated move to find offensive skin and suing the movie company not the people who rated it, while the movie may be wholy appropriate for a different age group.

2. I personally exceed the old EPA rating within normal driving conditions so I would be doing something fraudulent if I were to be part of this.

The courts should toss it out IMO.
OK
Explain this
My 04 hybrid (Civic) would regularly attain the nominal rated fuel consumption figure of 5.2 L/100Km and exceed this often.
Name:  oldhybrid.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  19.4 KB
Compared to my current hybrid which Honda quotes figues of 4.6L/100Km and has NEVER in it's entire life even looked like APROACHING little own attaining (07 Civic Hybrid)
Name:  Thirstyhybrid.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  56.8 KB
AND it is Hondas free choice as a company to use the figures provided by such an authority in the way they do. I feel deceptively.
If they were to be using these figures honestly there would be a qualification saying
"These figures were attained under Controlled conditions" - These do NOT relate to a real life situation in any way shape or form.

Last edited by cosmo-luce; 02-06-2012 at 09:27 PM.