HID Headlight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default HID Headlight Upgrade

Hey Guys:

I've had my HCHII a year and a half now and I'm loving it. However, I would like to upgrade to HID headlights. Unfortunately I don't know a darn thing about them and am not the type to do the installation myself. Is there an easy way for me to get somewhat up to speed quickly? What should I be looking for in terms of manufacturer? A local Southern California installer has cited either Taiwanese ($180) or Japanese ($360) manufacturers, but he didn't indicate any names. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Route66

Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HID Headlight Upgrade

If you haven't changed your OEM lights bulbs yet, you may want to try a less expensive $25.00-$35.00 upgrade option. I installed the Sylvania Silver Light series bulb. It is much brighter than standard OE bulbs. They work very well and when it rains at night on my way home, it shows the road well. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...r/ProductLine/

They also have another bulb called the Ultra Series which is even brighter. All of which are street legal. Somes states have laws that make it illegal to install HIDs in cars that are not orginially equiped with them.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...on/default.htm

If you still want to install HIDs just find a reputable vendor. Try 8thCivic.com/Forums for vendors and installers

Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Part Time Hybrids

The Sylvania's are great if you don't want to spend to much. It's the 9006 bulbs that go as the low beams. Of course its a royal pain to switch them out as you have to go in from the wheelwell. Removing the wheels seems to be the general easy way to go.

HID's can come from ebay for just over 100, but figure at least the install cost of $65 or so for labor plus whatever they charge for an install.

I have the former cheap option myself and put them in myself, I choose the cheaper ones because they provide the same improved night vision but don't give the annoying overpowering glare to oncoming traffic.

I get stabs of hatred everytime I see aftermarket HID's. Especially if theres any smears or dirt on the glass, the shine is really blinding. Forgive my lack of technical knowledge but I think the aftermarkets are more glaring because they lack the optical glass housing to focus the beams like you find on stock lights from BMW's and such.

Last edited by Sungod18; 11-09-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check out Orient Express's tutorial here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...6/index12.html
I have those same ones and I can confirm that they are excellent!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 AM

Yeup... aftermarket HIDs only work well with housing units designed for HIDs. If you don't replace the lens housing as part of your switch, then you will cause the glare everybody hates.

HID + HID Lens housing = good
HID + Regular housing = bad

HID LIKE LIGHTS (not real HIDs) can go into regular housing because they are essentially still a halogen light. They tend to be brighter because they burn at a higher temperature so life expectancy of these lights is short. After the 1st year, you will notice the lights to dim over time.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

Sungod18 and arbittan:

Thanks for your suggested cheaper alternative of switching to the Sylvania lamps. I am going to try that first and see how it goes! Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

Route66

Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You are welcome and good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Part Time Hybrids

I wish you good luck as well!

If you can, jack the front end up and remove the wheels, makes changing the bulbs so much easier than just turning the wheels inward.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

good luck dude.
Chrysler Cirrus Control ArmName:  pictureinvi.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  160 BytesChrysler Cirrus Fuel FilterName:  pictureinvi.jpg
Size:  160 BytesChrysler Crossfire Ignition CoilName:  pictureinvi.jpg
Size:  160 Bytes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pictureinvi.jpg (160 Bytes, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
pictureinvi.jpg (160 Bytes, 29 views)
Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM

If you can, jack the front end up and remove the wheels, makes changing the bulbs so much easier than just turning the wheels inward.
Umm... change that from "so much easier" to "actually possible". I could not change the bulb without taking the wheel off. My hands are big, but not huge. I think Honda definitely could have made this a little easier.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight Upgrade

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands