Honda Civic IMA & Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Honda Civic IMA & Check Engine Light

So I just bought a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Manual transmission with 117k miles on it. The first thing that happened was a check engine light came on and possibly the IMA light as well, but I can not be 100% sure since I did not know what that meant at the time.

I took the car to a local auto parts shop to have them run a diagnostic (for free), they came up with "cellular antenna malfunction," which they then cleared. I took the car to Honda for confirmation, because I had no idea what that code meant. They said it was the "catalyist.... " code (sorry do not have the full code) and that I would have to replace the catalytic converter soon.

I told the dealer the situation. They took the car and "fixed" it on their own. Well, they said it was the O2 sensors and "SAID" they fixed it. Honda ran a diagnostic and said everything was fine and no light was showing up.

Right away I smelt a burning plastic smell coming from the engine. I was not overly worried, because I have picked up a plastic bag or two on cars previously. I got out checked it out and proceeded home. I was driving the car home at about 65mph on the freeway and both the check engine light and IMA light came on. The IMA light went away, but the check engine light remains.

I still smell a faint burning plastic smell and the MPG I get seems to be less than the norm. I get about 28ish city and about 40 MPG highway (if I am lucky) it's probably closer to 38 highway.

Any ideas on what may be going on before I go back to Honda and they tell me I need a catalytic converter? I highly doubt that is the issue; however, I will almost try anything. Since I just paid out quite a bit for the car, funds are low too.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Honda Civic IMA & Check Engine Light

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with your car, but it sounds like you should bring it back to Honda and tell them about the burning smell.

There is a technical service bulletin regarding catalytic converter codes. Maybe one of these was the code that you originally had (the cellular antenna malfunction can't be right; that code probably relates to some other car manufacturer and the auto parts store couldn't differentiate that?). Anyway, the "fix" that Honda did may be the TSB update regarding catalytic converter codes:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420/A07-036.pdf

If it was something other than that, you should find out what it was that was done, and have them double-check to figure out why you have the burning plastic smell, since that wasn't happening before you took it in to them for service.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

The good news is that I ran another diagnosis at Shucks Auto Parts (for free) and got P1600. According to their online reference guide (http://www.canobd2.com/) that is Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) System Malfunction; so the bad news: that makes me think it's the battery.

Thoughts?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Think green.

P1600 seems to be a generic code.
I looked it up in my '03-'04 service manual and it falls under the chart for the IMA, but if you go through that section, nothing more is said regarding P1600.

If you "google" it, you get all sorts of answers, but this one seemed to make the most sense:

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/obd...and-p1600.html

Maybe try asking over at cleanmpg. Manuel may have an idea what the code means.
It seems like a Honda scanner might be needed to say what P1600 really is referring to.
Usually it comes in conjunction with another code.

Do you still have the burning smell?