How to change my transmission fluid/filter

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default How to change my transmission fluid/filter

I got a 2004 Honda Civic hybrid with 127,000 miles. I recently had it looked at and the dealer ship said my transmission fluid is black. I also heard you have to change the transmission filter when changing the fluid. I would prefer to do this myself and save a couple hundred bucks.

I would like some clarification on how to do this. I take off the bottom pan, drain the fluid, change the old filter with a new one, replace drain plug and then put new fluid in and that's it? Also does my car have a drain plug in the torque converter?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to change my transmission fluid/filter

First of all your car does not have a torque converter. Does your car have manual or CVT? I would Google your question first.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Yes I have CVT. Thanks for filling me in on the torque converter piece. I am not a gear head I just know the basics when it comes to cars and car repair. And this is a new car to me so I know nothing about this car or hybrids so please bare with me on this guys. What is the best way to proceed on changing my transmission fluid and filter?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

looks like you found your way from honda.tech civic forum.
now you need to do a search, it's been covered before several times.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybridman4444
I got a 2004 Honda Civic hybrid with 127,000 miles. I recently had it looked at and the dealer ship said my transmission fluid is black. I also heard you have to change the transmission filter when changing the fluid. I would prefer to do this myself and save a couple hundred bucks.

I would like some clarification on how to do this. I take off the bottom pan, drain the fluid, change the old filter with a new one, replace drain plug and then put new fluid in and that's it? Also does my car have a drain plug in the torque converter?
Here is a link to a discussion about replacing the filter:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-filter-24267/

I would personally just change the transmission fluid every 30.000 miles using the drain plug. You could change it a couple of times if you want.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

So I got 9 quarts of CVT fluid, got a new washer for the drain plug and planning on doing a triple flush. I done a lot of research and I'm all ready to do it I just have one quick question that I would like to get clarified before doing so.

I originally wanted to change the transmission filter because have a strong feeling that it is the original one and the car does have a decent amount of miles. If I change only the fluid, will it be a bad decision? Will the fluid turn black quicker and will it not work as well with the old filter?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

That link takes you to someone who has a toyota prius.

tranny fluid does not turn black like car oil.
tranny fluid that has not been changed or where the tranny has been abused will have a burnt smell to it and turn to a dark orange-brown color.

Supposedly, there is a filter inside the honda cvt transmission, it is not accessible for normal maintenace.
It's not hard to drain the tranny fluid, take the bottom cover off and you'll need a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar.
I suggest doing one flush, drive it for a couple days and then repeat until the fluid is nice and pinkish/reddish.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I have talked to the dealership and different mechanics more and more to fully understand my situation before doing this. I have found out I am not going to be changing the filter because it is way in there and I am not taking the whole thing apart. I am still not sure whether to do a triple flush or not because I heard by pumping all the fluid out the top it is quicker and will get more of the black fluid out. So I would prefer to do that but I am not even sure if that is possible on a CVT. Anyone know?

And also I heard that when the transmission fluid is black it means your transmission is going out. And I also heard that by draining the fluid and putting new fluid in it could mess up the transmission because it got used to the viscosity of the old fluid or something?

Also my transmission fluid is low and it smells burnt so Im thinking its burning the fluid or something? Will changing the fluid fix my problem, prolong the life of my transmission, kill my transmission?

And also the car shifts gears fine, but when I coast the car sometimes jerks in a forward and backward motion and I'm thinking that might be the transmission? Also my brake pads are getting pretty worn I am also thinking it might possibly be my pads sticking? Thanks

Last edited by Hybridman4444; 06-05-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you got to the point when CVT fluid is black and smells burnt then changing CVT fluid is a Russian roulette. But it's better to change the fluid than keep driving with old fluid. What I would recommend is to do one drain and refill and bring fluid level to normal and drive the car. See what happens. If it gets worse then I would dump the car or repaired/replaced the transmission.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybridman4444
I have talked to the dealership and different mechanics more and more to fully understand my situation before doing this. I have found out I am not going to be changing the filter because it is way in there and I am not taking the whole thing apart. I am still not sure whether to do a triple flush or not because I heard by pumping all the fluid out the top it is quicker and will get more of the black fluid out. So I would prefer to do that but I am not even sure if that is possible on a CVT. Anyone know?

Before you drain the fluild you need to loosen the nut for the fill. it's located on top of the tranny on the drivers side below the air cleaner. The factory puts them on tight. you don't wanna drain the fluid without lossening that nut first.

And also I heard that when the transmission fluid is black it means your transmission is going out. And I also heard that by draining the fluid and putting new fluid in it could mess up the transmission because it got used to the viscosity of the old fluid or something?
lol. that's an old wife's tail. common sense?

Also my transmission fluid is low and it smells burnt so Im thinking its burning the fluid or something? Will changing the fluid fix my problem, prolong the life of my transmission, kill my transmission?
lol again. keep driving it while the fluid is low, that'll kill the tranny.
And also the car shifts gears fine, but when I coast the car sometimes jerks in a forward and backward motion and I'm thinking that might be the transmission? Also my brake pads are getting pretty worn I am also thinking it might possibly be my pads sticking? Thanks
you won't feel it shifting gears, there are no shifting of the gears in a cvt. it's a metal belt that moves along two different pulleys.

chances are your starter clutch is goin out, and no it's not like a clutch in a manual tranmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change my transmission fluid/filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands