Im getting around 40mpg highway, but only 14mpg city

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Im getting around 40mpg highway, but only 14mpg city

I just got the reconditioning pack from hybrid automotive, and I have yet to use it, but I wanted to bring up a few concerns. Firstly, having driven it around now because I actually have the time too, I have only been getting some 14 mpg in town!!

That may be the battery, then again it may not be. Is there some "to do" list im not aware of? Even if the battery was bypassed, the lowest I should be getting is some 22mpg without hypermiling, and the worst part was that I was hypermiling and not at all driving hard.

The Hybrid automotive reconditioning pack didnt come with any instructions.. is there some video Im not aware of? It seems it may be the same for the prolong charge, but is it the same for the discharge ready? I wish they clarified this. Im so new to this im paranoid of failure.

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/recon

This didnt dawn on me, but is there an aftermarket fan that can be installed on the pack to make it run cooler?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Im getting around 40mpg highway, but only 14mpg city

Originally Posted by HybridGates
Firstly, having driven it around now because I actually have the time too, I have only been getting some 14 mpg in town!!
What is "in town"? Block by block stop and go could be that low, I suppose, if you had no battery assist. In suburban driving with a just about completely dead battery my 2003 was still delivering over 30mpg.

To drop a hybrid down to 14 mpg I'm thinking you would need a dragging brake, a partially blocked intake, exhaust, or injector, or bad spark plugs or cables, or a nearly flat tire. Something along those lines.

Is there a CEL lit? Any codes? If you have an OBDII reader that can do this, at least verify that once warmed up that the car goes into closed loop mode.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Awhile back, the ima light came on once, but went off shortly after and hasnt returned. I did have two check engine codes awhile ago that had to do with abs, and battery deterioration, but neither have come back since I got them cleared. In short I really dont know. I know tires are just fine though.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
What is "in town"? Block by block stop and go could be that low, I suppose, if you had no battery assist. In suburban driving with a just about completely dead battery my 2003 was still delivering over 30mpg.

To drop a hybrid down to 14 mpg I'm thinking you would need a dragging brake, a partially blocked intake, exhaust, or injector, or bad spark plugs or cables, or a nearly flat tire. Something along those lines.

Is there a CEL lit? Any codes? If you have an OBDII reader that can do this, at least verify that once warmed up that the car goes into closed loop mode.

It appears to have just been bad gas, dont use philips 66 I guess. Nothing like 100% mpg loss...