IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast
Question IMA Battery Replacement Options?

I'm new to your forum and discovered you by performing some Google searches related to replacing the IMA battery on my 2008 Civic Hybrid. My car has 162,500 miles, and my IMA/CE light came on for the first time last week. I have noticed re-calibrations prior to the lights coming on, but the lights finally motivated me to start checking into what my options are for replacing my IMA battery.

So far, I've found that my options are to either replace the battery, or recondition it. Unfortunately, I don't have the several weeks it takes to recondition my current battery, so I believe I'm going to have to go the replacement route. For this, I've found that I have the option to go with reconditioned cells, new 6.5 Amp cells, or new 8.0 amp cells. I'd like to find out what the advantage of upgrading to the 8.0 cells is, and I'd also like to find some recommendations as to where to purchase the replacement from.

This is what I've found...

$1,509 - SummitRacing.com (Dorman 587-004)

$1,595 - GreenTecAuto.com (reconditioned cells - 18 month warranty)
$1,895 - GreenTecAuto.com (new 6.5 amp cells - 36 month warranty)
$2,095 - GreenTecAuto.com (new 8.0 amp cells - 48 month warranty)

$1,299 - HybridRevolt.com (reconditioned cells - 12 month warranty)
$1,895 - HybridRevolt.com (new 8.0 amp cells - no junction board - 6 month warranty)
$2,095 - HybridRevolt.com (new 8.0 amp cells - 24 month warranty)

$2,800 - Honda Dealership (OEM)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Dave

Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Have you contacted Honda Customer Care?
http://owners.honda.com/help/customer-relations

I had my IMA battery replaced 2 years ago, and I was initially quoted by one dealer that it would cost $3-4k to replace (which wasn't worth it at all), and another dealer quoted about the same price as your dealer. I have a 2003 HCH, which, at the time, had about 72k miles on it and 9 yo, so no longer on warranty. I was looking into the same options as you. One dealer told me to call Honda Customer Care. They gave me a discount of a new battery and install for $1200. I never went to the dealer for maintenance (except for recalls), it was my first Honda, and I had recently moved to the area. So, it's not like I had some amazing relationship with Honda or the dealer.

There are Honda dealers who are accustomed to working with Honda Customer Care and can work through the paperwork, etc. It's at least worth a try. I had the battery replaced at Castle Honda in Morton Grove, IL (I figured I'd throw that in since you live in IL).

Last edited by chunkadelic; 01-25-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

I don't know how I missed your response, Chunkadelic... thank you! I actually just logged in to bump my thread.

I'll give this a shot, but I think it's highly unlikely that I'll get anywhere with Honda due to my mileage.

I'd still like to find more information regarding the 6.8 vs. 8.0 amp cells, as well as more information on where to purchase. Surely someone out there has experience with this!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Very similar situation here. 2008 Honda Civic with 160,000 miles and no unusual issues.

Green Tec for new cells
6.5 Amp, 3 year warranty, $1,994
8 Amp, 4 year warranty, $2,251
Installation at my location is $350 flat.

All of this seems reasonable. A local shop, Hillmuth quoted new batteries at $2,519 and $2,860 respectively. Labor in their shop was $350.

I didn't find a clear answer on 6.5 versus 8.0 Amps. Seems the warranty is the only difference as the higher capacity battery is presumed to last longer. Mine only needs to last long enough, so 3 years seems reasonable and maybe get 6 years performance out of it.

Did anyone learn otherwise? More MPG? More acceleration?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

I seemed to strike out on my questions... however, I'm also going to look into possibly purchasing a grid charger as opposed to replacing the battery. I haven't had any more IMA or CE lights come on, but I have a feeling that once winter gets here, I will start seeing them again. I'm also interested in finding out more about the discharge add-on for the grid chargers.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just ordered a replacement hybrid battery for a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid from Revolt. Cost $2550 with new 8ah cells, shipping and refundable deposit. I will let you know of my experience when I get it installed, hopefully next week.

Ross

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Awesome... thanks for posting!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info on options for replacements. Has anyone dealt with Honda itself about IMA replacement issues in cars with high mileage? I am the lone owner of a 2004 Civid hybrid sedan (184K miles), which I use for commuting from Va to MD every day. I need this sucker to keep going for another two years while my kid is in college. After nearly getting killed on the highway last week when the car couldn't be steered due to all electronics suddenly going offline (linked to the IMA failure), the local Honda place wants $4K to replace the IMA system. The light has been going on/off since 159K miles, supposedly fixed, and now I am dismayed to find out there have been service bulletins (and class action lawsuit!) such that Honda extended the warranty for a full year, etc, on most models. I think it's pretty sh**ty that Honda wasn't required to send out letters despite this "only" being a service bulletin and not a recall. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

Here's the document Honda had posted in 2012 apparently. http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/inde...t_file&id=1633

Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

and settlement notice….https://hchsettlement.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMA Battery Replacement Options?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands