IMA problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA problems

I have a 2005 honda civic hybrid. Just replaced the engine but now ima and battery light are on. There is also no readings for the charge, assist, and battery level indicators. I took out ima battery and charged each stick individually. Put back in car and now battery light goes off when rpms go over 1200. I confirmed it is charging the 12 volt battery and the proper voltage is going to the battery. Took ima battery out and is reading proper dc voltage and fuses tested fine.
I don't think it's the ima batteries. Could it be a relay or something like that?
Any ideas??

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA problems

after you re-assembled the battery, did you measure/test your main output voltage or apply some kind of load (light bulbs) to see that all was good? Also make sure those little connectors are connected good (the ones that measure the individual cells).

Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

I tested the load of the battery and the entire battery was reading approximately 148 volts dc. I've checked all ima fuses in the car and all fuses on the ima battery. It's like the car isn't reading the battery even though it's charging the 12 volt battery once rpms are above 1200. The ac even works which runs off the ima battery. But no readings on the charge/assist or battery on the dashboard. I tried running the rpms at 3600 till a charge showed on the dash (per service manual) but nothing.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smelton22
I have a 2005 honda civic hybrid. Just replaced the engine but now ima and battery light are on. There is also no readings for the charge, assist, and battery level indicators.
Use an OBD2 code reader and see what the codes are.

The CEL always comes on when the IMA is on. The lack of charge, assist, and battery level indicators is odd, since those are normally there even when a pack is in bad shape.

Possibly it blew a fuse for those parts of the dash display?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

I've checked ima fuses but I will go through all fuses to make sure nothing is abnormal. The obd2 codes are P1600 and P1560. I cleared the codes and the ima light goes off for about 2 seconds...then back on.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've checked ima fuses but I will go through all fuses to make sure nothing is abnormal. The obd2 codes are P1600 and P1560. I cleared the codes and the ima light goes off for about 2 seconds...then back on.
As you just replaced the engine, see this thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...or-errors.html

That is on an Insight, but assuming they didn't remap the code for the Civic, it suggests a place you should look.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm sure you've tried this, but how about disconnecting the 12V battery for 30 minutes. Doing an OBD2 reset doesn't always reset things, and its possible the computer needs to relearn the state of the battery. However, those two codes that you listed do not appear to be battery related so I'm not sure why they are triggering IMA alert

Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

I have tried the 12 volt battery disconnect. This one is just frustrating.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

The obd2 codes are P1600 and P1560.
P1560 in HCH service manual is "Motor commutation sensor A, high input". The diagrams are quite complex and the sections in question are high voltage, so I hesitate to provide detailed information lest I get something wrong and you fry yourself. If you are serious about working on this part of the car you really need a copy of the service manual. There are detailed step by step directions for diagnosing this (and pretty much every other) problem, but it is long and there are many diagrams you need to see.

In general terms though, the electric motor is 3 phase and the phases are labeled A,B,C. There are sensors on the power cables going into the motor that measure the current going through those 3 cables. The first connector for it is 10P and it seems to be right on the electric motor. The second is 24P and it is in the IMA box.

You said that you changed the motor, but you also messed about with the IMA electronics. So the problem could be in many places. When the motor was changed 10P may been damaged (bent pin) or not put on correctly. Another possibility is seen in the "motor commutation sensor replacement" section, where it notes that sensors A,B, and C need to be put back in the correct positions. If you have any 2 of them swapped, you might get this sort of error. Unfortunately access seems to be difficult, because the instructions start with "remove the transmission".

If 24P is not seated or not connected the IMA certainly will not work. The only way to check that is to open up the IMA box behind the back seat again.

Did you change the motor yourself?

Did these symptoms start after you pulled the battery? That is, was there a period after the motor swap but before the battery was worked on when this was not happening? If so, that indicates the problem is more likely at 24P.

Last edited by pasadena_commut; 07-22-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to check the motor rotor sensors.

I have a service manual for a 2007 HCH. I am working on this car concerned in the thread, and need to know if there is a way for 2005.
Thanks

Quick Reply: IMA problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands