mileage during breakin period

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default mileage during breakin period

So I'm only getting 32mpg for the first 2000 miles on my 2007 hch II.

Dealer said I should see performance improvement after first oil change since the initial oil has certain additives...etc.

Also, he said that ethanol in gasoline decreases mileage.

Is this all BS or am I really gonna see an improvement after the first change.

And btw...can I do the first change myself or do i need to take it in??? Do they do any special adjustments at the first change interval??>

Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Hybrid Owner
Default Re: mileage during breakin period

The break in period on these cars is as much about breaking the car in as it is breaking the driver in.

I just clicked over 2000 miles on my '08 and my mileage has been generally improving. It's more about me than about the car...I'm anticipating traffic and coasting more than I did in a 'regular' car. In day to day city traffic I'm seeing around 40 mpg, however if I forget I'm driving a hybrid I can see that number drop to about 35 mpg. On the highway I'm seeing anywhere from 45-50 mpg depending on the terrain. My last trip from Louisville to Memphis I almost hit 60 mpg, but that trip is almost all downhill.

Weather is also a factor. We've had a strange winter, and the days it's warmer I'm seeing 3-5 mpg better gas mileage.

As far as the first oil change, I plan on taking mine to the dealer...as part of their oil change process, they are supposed to check the vehicle for software updates (which also optimize economy and performance).

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpjpjpjpjp
So I'm only getting 32mpg for the first 2000 miles on my 2007 hch II.

Dealer said I should see performance improvement after first oil change since the initial oil has certain additives...etc.

Also, he said that ethanol in gasoline decreases mileage.

Is this all BS or am I really gonna see an improvement after the first change.

And btw...can I do the first change myself or do i need to take it in??? Do they do any special adjustments at the first change interval??>
nothing special is done.

you can do it yourself... just make sure to use 0W20...and replace the filter as well. you can go with Mobil 1 0W20 (synthetic oil) and a Mobil 1 110 oil filter.

or buy Honda 0W20 and a honda filter... i believe this to be more expensive than going the Mobil 1 route. the problem is that it is harder to find Mobil 0W20.

your mileage from day 1 can be as good or better than 1st oil change mpg. it's a learning curve to maximize the FE of the car.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Where are you located? What is the weather like? How long is your average drive? Stop and go, or does traffic flow well in your local? Are you "trying" for high mileage (using hypermiling techniques like in Tarabell's article on Cleanmpg.com), or driving normally? What PSI are your tires inflated to?

There is a break in period for these cars, and my mileage increased significantly after my first oil change. However, by that time it was also summer, I had my tires inflated to 40psi, and I had gotten a whole lot better at driving the car. My mileage has fallen since the weather has gotten cold though so the summer improvements weren't totally related to break in and driver learning.

I have heard several times on this site and by my dealer that the initial oil change should not be done before 15% on the maintenance minder so I wouldn't rush the oil change. Work on your technique and you will see a huge improvement between now and the end of summer (factoring in break in, an oil change and warmer temps in addition to the driver improvement).

Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

i live in NJ. I dont take any special precautions when I drive. I can change my driving habits in any car and see mileage improvement.

I would say average around 45-55 degrees here this winter during the day.

Does anyone know what the typical compact car with similar HP/torque gets in terms of mileage

I dont do much research when I buy cars...since a car is just a car to me. I just assumed the window sticker was accurate.

Basically, I just want to know...all things being equal (driving habits, weather...etc), how much better mileage is the civic hybrid over non-hybrid?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Why did you post if you don't want to learn? If your getting 32 then I guess that is the way you drive. You would probaly only get 15 in a normal Civic? H

Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Hybrid Owner

I don't think telling this is going to help you any since it seems you've already made your mind up, but...

I had an '04 Mazda 3 HB and on my route to work and back I was averaging 25 mpg. I'm averaging 40 mpg in my HCH.

I had an '02 Mazda MX-5 Miata and was averaging 25 mpg on the same route

'93 Deville, same route, 17 mpg
'99 Oldsmobile LSS, same route 20 mpg

I've had the following as rentals and on that same route here's what I averaged:

Mazda 6 4-cylinder auto -- 23 mpg
Ford 500 AWD CVT -- 22 mpg
Jeep Liberty 4WD -- 15 mpg
Chevrolet Aveo auto -- 29 mpg
Dodge Caliber CVT-- 26 mpg
Toyota Corolla S auto -- 28 mpg
Toyota 4Runner -- 19 mpg

For most of those, I got right around what the sticker promised in City MPG.

I don't know what else to say that would be of help

Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

I think the corolla is probably the best comp. Maybe after my break in period, and warmer weather comes, I can get into the 40s. I'd be thrilled if I could average 40.

I was getting 22mpg on my bmw 325 and i was expecting to get double that. Getting 50% more mileage with 50% less HP and -1000 pounds is not a great tribute to hybrid technology. I'm sure alot of people can agree with that. Hopefully this figure improves as the seasons change and after the first service.

I'm certainly not complaining about anything...the technology is what it is.

I'm was just wondering how other people are doing...without making compromises to their personal driving preferences-so that maybe I would know if there was something unusual going on with my car.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The car requires SOME change in the way you drive, sorry THAT is what it is.....Winter is not the best time to test the mileage, even @ 40 degees, you are not going to get the best mileage....E-10 gas will cost you mileage, short trips and not having your tires at 40 psi will cost you....not to mention your car is not broken in yet. Those reductions of 5% here & 10% there have more of an impact at 45mpg than 22.

I have been having a relative increase in mileage as I put a few miles on my car, I was told 3,500 is the break in period, some say till the 1st oil change but, I suspect, if you drive your HCH like your BMW you will be hard pressed to ever see the 40 mpg (city) the car is rated at.

In the meantime, congratulations for being the 1st to reach the stoplight but while you are sitting there & I am rolling up to the stoplight next to you, consider this, while your car is sitting (till auto stop kinks in) you are getting a negative mpg, while I am rolling I am getting 150 mpg...when you take off fast, you are getting 10 mpg, while I am accelerating from my slow down and keeping the rpm below 2,000 I am getting 35 miles per gallon....why can't you figure out why I am getting better mileage?

I am getting better mileage right now in the middle of winter (10-15 degrees) than I got when I first bought my car, but, the car has taught me to be a more fuel & ecology orented driver, watch the mpg gages, don't worry so much about the miles per hour.....or as I told a friend not that long ago, when harrased for taking a couple of extra minutes to arrive at a agreed location than they did, I am more interested in seeing 70 MPG than 70 miles per hour.

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 02-28-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Hybrid Owner

I didn't mean to come across overly negatively towards you, but you didn't leave much room to help you...

That said, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a car on the market (or in the last 30 years even) that can get 35 mpg in city traffic outside of a hybrid. Diesel Rabbits didn't do it 30 years ago, Diesel Jettas can't do it today. Chevy Sprints and Honda CRXs barely did it back then. The Toyota Yaris comes the closest to the Sprint/CRX class and it doesn't hit that goal. Factor in the ability to seat 4 people comfortably and you're left with nothing. The market as a whole seems to be focused on the highway mileage, which most people will not see in a majority of their driving. I'm glad the EPA reevaluted things because I rarely hit the old city numbers (could frequently meet/exceed the highway ones though).

On my worst day, getting 36 mpg (per the onboard computer) at 18 degrees, I'm still doing ~40% better than my Mazda3 was on its best day.

There are individuals who are obsessed with getting the most mileage out of their hybrid. I'm not one of those individuals, and I don't knock them for their attempts. I'm not going to obstruct traffic, and I'm not going to hyperinflate my tires, however. I don't like being honked at and I don't like the extra ride harshness and noise. I have changed my driving habits, mainly anticipating more, planning ahead and not trying to race from corner to corner. I arrive much more relaxed and pick up a few extra mpg along the way.

Part of the 'extra' of the HCH package is to provide you with tools to help you make driving decisions and to show you how they impact your MPG. I use them as much as possible without letting them distract me from driving. It does become somewhat of a game, one that is much more fun than streetlight drag racing (I turn 30 next month, maybe I'm just getting old! LOL)

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: mileage during breakin period

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands