MPG and tank capacity

Old 04-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default MPG and tank capacity

I just crammed 13.06 gals into the tank of my '06 HCH. Got 622 miles on the tank... good for 47.6 MPG. It's getting better!

Was wondering how close to running out of fuel this was... the pump first clicked off at 11.2 gallons, so I can almost get an additional two in there. What's the most you've been able to put in a tank for the '06?

Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG and tank capacity

I thought I read in the owners manual that it's a 12.4 gallon tank. I use to "top it off" with a few more clicks after the pump initially stopped, but I don't do that anymore. I think it's more consistant if you never try to top it off, when calculating your mpg. Plus you can over fill it and have it spill. I don't know if theres any real truth to this but I've heard if you "top it off" to the brim you can lose fuel out of the gas when it heats up and expands or if you go around a corner. Again, I don't know if theres any truth to that last sentence but spilling gas like that surely isn't good and I definately don't want to pay for something I don't get to use.

The most I've put in so far was 11.3 and I drove 50-75 miles with no bars on the gas guage while averaging 49mpg.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Vegetarian

You really shouldn't fill any more after the pump stops, the extra fuel you pump is just going to get sucked up by the vapor recovery system, and that can damage it, plus your paying for gas you're not getting.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

True, but it was the only reliable way to confirm that the tank was filled to the same exact point. I fill at different stations evey time, so I suspect the click-off point for every pump is somewhat different.

Plus, it was just interesting to know how much I could cram in there!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:13 AM

I agree with what you say Anahymbrid. However, you can save your self some time by just filling to the first click. It may not be exact every time, but over time any calculated numbers come out right because the fuel put in over time will be correct as will be the miles driven.

I stopped topping off because for the extra 2 or 3 minutes after the click I sit there trying to get every drop it just became not worth it anymore.