My IMA Battery Needs To Be Replaced!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default My IMA Battery Needs To Be Replaced!!!

I was just informed that the battery in my 2005 HCH has failed.

My computer Codes were P1600 - IMA System Malfunction and P1433 Battery Module Deterioration. These code definitions are different than the ones I found online.

The cost is $3003 for the battery and another $300 for labor. Ouch!

The worst part is that even through I have under 80k miles, my car has a salvage title and they are saying that this voids the warranty for everything except for safety related issues.

I have read some horror stories about how power steering and brakes stopped working on HCHs with failed IMA batteries. Can anyone provide any technical details as to how the IMA battery failure could result in a safety issue?

I plan to call Honda's Customer Service number to plead my case, but I need to have a good rationale for asking them to cover the replacement cost.

I was also told that I will not be able to pass a smog test because my check engine light is on. Also, my IMA light comes on intermittently. My gas mileage has not changed - 36 mpg. I think hybrids are exempt from smog tests until some time in 2010 - correct?

I cannot afford to replace this battery. Any suggestions on alternatives would be appreciated. I've thought about Ebay, junkyards, and aftermarket batteries, but have not come up with a good option.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 PM
rkr
Enthusiast
Default Re: My IMA Battery Needs To Be Replaced!!!

My battery died a couple of years ago. First of all I have to admit I'm happy to hear the price has gone down. But yes, that is still very expensive and I'd like to see it be 1K tops.

I've read threads in the past where people talked to Honda (who were out of their warranty) and got discounts or free batteries. So it is worth a try. Be persistent, try lots of people. Blog about it, make it a PR issue for them even.

I had to wait 2 weeks to get my battery replaced (it was under warranty) and they said it was no problem at all to drive it while I was waiting. I am pretty sure I remember reading or hearing that you can keep driving it indefinitely without the hybrid battery working. But I don't have any sources for that and don't feel like searching forums right now. There are a lot of threads on failed batteries both here and at hybridcars, those would be good to read. I bet not everyone fixed their battery.

FWIW, here is what I did notice during the dead battery period: My mpg was down for a little bit and the battery level would often wildly fluctuate. I had less battery to use so it was harder going up hills. But nothing dramatic.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply.

I did speak to Honda's corporate office today and was told that the emissions system, including the IMA battery, is covered under warranty, even if you have a salvage title. The person I spoke with sent the issue to a case manager for final disposition. Apparently my local Honda dealership was give incorrect information.

I have no problem being vocal if this is not covered. I believe the agency that provides oversight is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. There are several other consumer advocacy organizations that are willing to help. There are also media consumer reporters that report on these types of issues.

At this point I think Honda is going to do the right thing.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:10 AM
rkr
Enthusiast

That is very good news!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good going John!!!H

Old 10-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

Honda America did cover the cost of my IMA battery replacement, even though my car has a "branded" (salvage) title! Their policy requires them to do so because it is considered part of the emissions system and I have less than 80k miles on the vehicle. Thanks to all for your input.