Navi automatic dimming doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Navi automatic dimming doesn't work

My Navi display always stays in "Day" mode when set to Auto. The owner manual says it should switch to "Night" automatically when I turn on the headlights. Or am I misunderstanding something? The only way I finally got to see what "Night" mode looks like was to go to Setup and manually set it to "Night".

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Old 02-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Default Re: Navi automatic dimming doesn't work

Check and see if your brightness is turned all the way up. if it is then kick it down a notch. Some systems don't dim if they are cranked all the way up.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:16 PM

When I turn on the headlights it doesn't really dim. It seems to switch to a reversed contrast mode. It started out as white on black but then I switched the background to blue. There is another thread about this around a month ago.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
My Navi display always stays in "Day" mode when set to Auto. The owner manual says it should switch to "Night" automatically when I turn on the headlights. Or am I misunderstanding something? The only way I finally got to see what "Night" mode looks like was to go to Setup and manually set it to "Night".

Has anyone else seen this problem?
If the panel brightness (the +/- buttons right next to the SEL/RESET buttons to the left of the steering wheel) is turned up all the way, the NAVI will not go into 'night' mode. The current brightness level is shown in the odometer display when you press the +/- buttons. I believe there are separate brightness levels for headlight on/off, so make sure the headlights are turned on when you make this adjustment.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by AZMerf
When I turn on the headlights it doesn't really dim. It seems to switch to a reversed contrast mode. It started out as white on black but then I switched the background to blue. There is another thread about this around a month ago.
That doesn't happen on mine.

Hmm, it's kind of difficult to find old threads, and I don't remember seeing it.

In response to tbaleno - my brightness wasn't set to max.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
If the panel brightness (the +/- buttons right next to the SEL/RESET buttons to the left of the steering wheel) is turned up all the way, the NAVI will not go into 'night' mode. The current brightness level is shown in the odometer display when you press the +/- buttons. I believe there are separate brightness levels for headlight on/off, so make sure the headlights are turned on when you make this adjustment.
Oh, that brightness. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.