New to forum - have '03 HCH stick with IMA problem

Old 10-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default New to forum - have '03 HCH stick with IMA problem

I got this [formerly] one-owner 2003 HCH 5-speed with 115,250 miles on it in Feb (now has 118K+). Everything was working great until first the engine stop ceased working and then it began having problems getting up hills. Charges great but discharges way too quickly. Am I about to go broke on a new IMA?
This is my first hybrid - last car was a 2002 Mini Cooper - I drive this car like it's a 40hp beetle most of the time but really have to work it to get up hills...

Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New to forum - have '03 HCH stick with IMA problem

If you are seeing your battery level drop to near empty and experience substantially reduced power, this is a "recalibration" and is triggered by cell imbalance. A failure is pending.

You are likely a good candidate for a Hybrid Automotive Prolong reconditioning system:

https://hybridautomotive.com/collect...ant=5576544132

Given that your battery hasn't triggered an actual IMA light, it's very possible the above could get you a significant life extension on the order of 1-3 years, but there are no guarantees.

If you opt for replacement, I recommend bumblebeebatteries.com

Old 10-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into this for sure... an added 1-3 years would be nice for sure!
I'm not sure whether the IMA installed in this car is original or a replacement and having trouble getting Honda to tell me, which goads me no end.
If it's an original battery pack, well, that's a long life for it, wouldn't you think?
Thanks again

Old 10-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MsTakin
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into this for sure... an added 1-3 years would be nice for sure!
I'm not sure whether the IMA installed in this car is original or a replacement and having trouble getting Honda to tell me, which goads me no end.
If it's an original battery pack, well, that's a long life for it, wouldn't you think?
Thanks again
The older packs were more reliable than the newer. Could you ask the original owner?

I would suspect it hasn't been replaced.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

Wish I could ask the original owner but don't have that person's info... if it is the original, then it's lasted way longer than anyone might have expected.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MsTakin
Wish I could ask the original owner but don't have that person's info... if it is the original, then it's lasted way longer than anyone might have expected.
Since you said it was a one-owner, I assumed you bought it from them.

Your statement is not accurate. The earliest models performed the best. Mileage approaching 200K is far more common than in later models.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

So maybe I didn't do too poorly with this machine after all... we've been out for a drive running errands and it's almost like dealing with an old 40HP bug, but BTDT through the years... still getting about 44mpg and will look into the Prolong reconditioning unit next week. I'm a former BMW service advisor and current photojournalist specializing in motorsport and auto reviews. When I met this car, it just felt right. Her name is Fridge (just another white appliance) and that's meant to be a joke!