Pipe Insulation in Grill

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Pipe Insulation in Grill

I put mine in Sunday.

The fit is fine, but super-obvious. Granted I did use "higher-end" pipe insulation -- it's what I already had. It's black with blue writing, not the plain grey stuff.

I used two pieces and, installed, they flex out in the middle from a little barrier in the grill. I am thinking off cutting each piece in half to fit on either side of the barrier better; and maybe going with the cheaper all-grey insulation.

Also, the stuff I used came with adhesive to seal the open side of the insulation -- which I did. There shouldn't be any issues with that, should there?

I've seen pics here of other's insulation work before, but couldn't find them by searching.

Input?

Thanks, nf

Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Pipe Insulation in Grill

Would it have been this one?

This is my wife's car. However, mine has the same setup but without the black tie straps.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-28-2008, 03:00 PM

OH!

I only have them in the upper grill -- not down below.

And the ones in my upper grill bulge out in the middle. Did you cut a notch in the insulation for a better fit?

Also, why does the 2nd from the bottom not extend to the left?

And yes, that M, that's the one.

nf

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I cut a notch in mine so that it has a snug fit against the "barrier" The 2nd from the bottom does not extend to the "left" because it is mostly already blocked, for some reason.
The very top 2 I found better to cut a little longer than the opening so that you can better wedge it in. The area is so open that the pieces could easily push through.
The adhesive is okay. It eventually goes away with the heat, dirt and moisture.
It will make a huge difference in your mpg's.

Good luck,
Jess

Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by noflash
And the ones in my upper grill bulge out in the middle. Did you cut a notch in the insulation for a better fit?
You bet. The key is to make it look as good as possible.

Also, why does the 2nd from the bottom not extend to the left?
Because, at least in my cars, that area is already blocked. The only opening it has in that area is used by the "factory" block heater cord to pass through... but I just don't bother plugging that 1 inch squared hole.

Again, I am not really interested in making the front totally air tight. All I am looking for is reducing the impact of sub-freezing air, rushing in and interfering with my glides and auto-stops.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I cut the notches for the bars, makes it fit a little neater.....I am finding it does help, still takes a while to warm up, but it helps it stay warmer when snow & icy water is not being sprayed on the radiadior....and it warms up faster after being parked for 20-30 minutes sooo overall, I do think it helps.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM

That part that's blocked in MSantos's is blocked in the US model as well. Here is a pic of mine:

Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I cut pieces to fit behind the grill on the bottom. After approximating the length, I popped zip ties through the front to the back, then through again to the front in a "U" shape with both ends facing the front. The wrap was then slid between the horizontal grill bars and the zip ties connected around them. I used the cut pipe wrap that could open up to cover most of the open space. This took a little more time, but is much less visible than an exterior grill mounting. I'll try to get a pic as soon as I have time.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM

Wow! What a difference!

This morning my commute was twelve degrees. My car heated up sooner on my commute, but most importantly I got 45mpg on the way to work! My last ENTIRE tank was 34 mpg in similar temps!

I am shocked. I feel a bit foolish for not having done this sooner. We should defenitely place more emphasis on this tip at greenhybrid.

One morning is not a great test, but I get the feeling I could up my commute mpg by at least 5 mpg.

Thanks all.

Lastly, for those that use zip ties on the lower grill, I assume you cut them off in spring. Is this correct?

nf

Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Wow! What a difference!
Lastly, for those that use zip ties on the lower grill, I assume you cut them off in spring. Is this correct?

Good to hear you are seeing am improvement as well.

The reason why I only have the zip ties on the lower row is because I may have to remove or re-add the ones above it. We do this since there may be warmer days during the cold season and it is generally not a good idea to run the engine too hot during those odd days.
Again, this system is quite OK because you can have a level of blocking to match the cold your driving in. You just have to choose what's best as you go along.

Yes, when the "summer" arrives and we have months of good warm weather ahead, then I cut the zip ties and totally remove the grille blocking. I usually go by what my "Scangauge tells me to do".

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Pipe Insulation in Grill

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands