Power converter for laptop use...bad for alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Power converter for laptop use...bad for alternator??

Me and my fiance are driving from las vegas, nv - washington dc - northern michigan - and back to las vegas, total of about 5400 miles. i got the bright idea to try and bring our laptop to watch movies and kill some of the time. a buddy of mine recommended the:

PHILIPS GEMINI 80W POWER INVERTER
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5720952

but...i've heard that the use of this and the load it would put on the car could cause the alternator to run c[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']ontinuously, eventually causing it to fail. [/FONT]

the inverter is an 80W inverter and the adapter for my computer is a 65W, so i'm not gonna be maxing it out, however, are there any unwanted side effects i should be concerned about??? i'm not super mechanically inclined to know what effect prolonged use of this could have on the car or it's electrical system. also, will the additional load of this have any effect on my FE?? thanks for the help...

Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Power converter for laptop use...bad for alternator??

I've never heard of these things killing alternators before, and I'd be rather skeptical of the claim anyways, given that your alternator runs whenever the serpentine belt is moving (which it always does, with the exception of AS). I've been using a 75W inverter when I drive between CBus and CTown, and haven't had any troubles.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

yeah, i didn't know, don't know that much about the electrical system and hearing that it could kill the alternator durring out cross country trip had me kinda worried...thanks...

Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 PM

03 civic hybrids don't have an alternator. The 12V is charged from the hybrid battery. You are probably going to be fine. You are only going to be drawing about 6 amps I think. If you plug it into the cigarette lighter I think the fuse is a 10A fuse.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 AM
Enthusiast

Just a word of warning, I work on big trucks and have seen a couple of fires started by the combination of these and laptop batteries. You should be able to run it with no problem but most laptops throw a lot of heat if the computer is sitting on combustible material with no air flow just watch the heat build up.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mechanicjesus
Just a word of warning, I work on big trucks and have seen a couple of fires started by the combination of these and laptop batteries. You should be able to run it with no problem but most laptops throw a lot of heat if the computer is sitting on combustible material with no air flow just watch the heat build up.
Thanks for the info, we had not planned any prolonged use, just wanted to be able to watch a movie or two durring our many days of driving, so it will mostly consist of watching a movie here and there, not one after another for hours on end. thanks again.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If your laptop is maxing out the power supply, it will draw just over half an amp (NOT 6, the inverter output is 120 v so 65/120=.54 amps) and the inverter is not 100% efficient, so you may draw a bit more than that. Even if it were a full amp, or even two or three, it should be no problem at all. Most cigarette lighters circuits are fused at 30 amps, though a constant draw of 30 amps might get problematic. The inverter pictured has a red fuse in it, which is 10A. My only potential concern is that some electronics don't like to be run off inverters, but your power supply will probably be fine. I've run mine off an inverter before with no troubles.

However, cheap inverters can be really frustrating. They often just don't work at all because they can't handle the advertised load, or break easily. That one you linked to looks like a really tiny and cheap inverter, though phillips is not usually a cheapo brand. I have not tried one like that, but the larger cheapo ones I have used have really sucked. Plus for 12 bucks I can't imagine they used very good electronics in it, so I don't think I'd want to run my computer on it. If you can spend a little more money you'll be much better off. I would highly recommend one that's a little higher power rating (try to double your actual load, so go for 125w or so) and get something reputable if you can find it.

Tripp-Lite units are great but probably more expensive than you'll find at walmart. I got a pretty decent coleman inverter at target on sale for $30 and it was 200w I think. It has a metal case and external heat sinks so it can actually put out what it says--even though coleman is not a brand I necessarily associate with good electronics, camping lanterns and coolers sure, but electronics? I was surprised.

Also nowadays, many computer makers have a laptop power supply that can plug into the cigarette lighter directly. These usually also come with the airplane adaptor. That's another option, but it will be specific to the computer so you couldn't run other accessories off it like you can with an inverter.

Good luck.

Last edited by zimbop; 08-06-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by zimbop
If your laptop is maxing out the power supply, it will draw just over half an amp (NOT 6, the inverter output is 120 v so 65/120=.54 amps) and the inverter is not 100% efficient, so you may draw a bit more than that.
Wrong. You forget that while 60W @ 120V = 0.5A, the lighter socket only provides 12V. 60W / 12V = 5A. Constant power requires higher current at lower voltage.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 PM

I think that the only poor effect would be that your IMA battery would need to charge your 12V battery a little, and you would have a slightly smaller amount of battery to assist. I don't think it would make a noticeable impact on FE tho. However, I think that your biggest danger is watching movies while driving.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Wrong. You forget that while 60W @ 120V = 0.5A, the lighter socket only provides 12V. 60W / 12V = 5A. Constant power requires higher current at lower voltage.
Yes of course. I had a momentary brain fart thinking that the current would be constant rather than the power. I am an electrical engineer after all, you might think I could get that one right.

Quick Reply: Power converter for laptop use...bad for alternator??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands