questions about changing transmission fluid..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default questions about changing transmission fluid..

so i am thinking about changing the transmission fluid on my girlfriend's 2003 civic hybrid auto cvt...

is there anything different about doing it on this car than any other car?

is the drain plug pretty accessible? what type of tranny fluid does it use?

thanks in advance!

Old 10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: questions about changing transmission fluid..

Get the tranny fluid from the dealer. period.

Drain plug is as easy to get to as the oil drain plug. Only problem I had when I changed mine was the fill plug. Mine was WRENCHED ON VERY TIGHT! I had to make a BIG breaker bar to get it loose. Once I did that it was fine. Make sure you use a transmission funnel to fill it as that fill hole is quite a ways down.

The one thing about this that makes it different from any other car is you don't have to change a filter and you don't get bathed in transmission fluid when you do it. It's simple.

1. Pull plug & drain
2. replace plug and fill (remove fill plug)

Just make sure you use that Honda fluid, that's just my preference for the CVT though.

If my car gets out of the body shop today (or tomorrow morning) I'll take pics on how to change it and post them on the shared section. I'm due for another change, I've been trying to change mine every 18,000 miles.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger
Get the tranny fluid from the dealer. period.

Drain plug is as easy to get to as the oil drain plug. Only problem I had when I changed mine was the fill plug. Mine was WRENCHED ON VERY TIGHT! I had to make a BIG breaker bar to get it loose. Once I did that it was fine. Make sure you use a transmission funnel to fill it as that fill hole is quite a ways down.

The one thing about this that makes it different from any other car is you don't have to change a filter and you don't get bathed in transmission fluid when you do it. It's simple.

1. Pull plug & drain
2. replace plug and fill (remove fill plug)

Just make sure you use that Honda fluid, that's just my preference for the CVT though.

If my car gets out of the body shop today (or tomorrow morning) I'll take pics on how to change it and post them on the shared section. I'm due for another change, I've been trying to change mine every 18,000 miles.
thanks a lot! that would be great...my girlfriend's car already has 30K on it...i guess when i get a chance i will go look for the fill plug. on my accord, i just fill it up through the same hole as the dipstick.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't claim to be an expert on Honda auto cvt tranny maintenance, however might I suggest a reverse flush rather than a simple drain out. Reverse flusing trannys is used in heavy industry and in heavy duty applications to remove as much debris and old fluid as possible and for collecting the old fluid for recycling.

I would be surprised if your Honda dealer didn't have the equipment already to do such a task.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I just went to the body shop and they are delayed due to a cold front that just moved through. They still have my car promised by tomorrow afternoon. If that really happens I'll be changing it Friday. Honestly I don't see them finishing it on time, there's still a ding they have to get removed.

One other thing I forgot to mention, it took me forever to find the fill plug. Hopefully I get the car back soon.

Originally Posted by GeneValgene
thanks a lot! that would be great...my girlfriend's car already has 30K on it...i guess when i get a chance i will go look for the fill plug. on my accord, i just fill it up through the same hole as the dipstick.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

The procedure is as outlined if you want to DIY, but I can't emphasize enough, Use HONDA TRANSMISSION FLUID!

If you go with some other brand your transmission will not be happy, and neither will your girlfriend, or should I say, "ex girlfriend" .

Old 10-29-2005, 04:12 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I strongly third the (ok, second time I said it) Honda transmission fluid.

OK, got the car out of the shop but I won't be able to get a chance to change my fluid til Wednesday at the latest. Might be able to do it sooner. I will document it with pictures. Might set up a seperate thread so it will come up in a search easier for people later.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger
I strongly third the (ok, second time I said it) Honda transmission fluid.

OK, got the car out of the shop but I won't be able to get a chance to change my fluid til Wednesday at the latest. Might be able to do it sooner. I will document it with pictures. Might set up a seperate thread so it will come up in a search easier for people later.
thanks!!

Old 10-31-2005, 03:52 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Went to do it today but the shop I use was closed. (I use the lift, I still DIY the rest) I may do it during my lunch tomorrow.

FYI, Honda just raised the price of tranny fluid! Haven't found my old receipt yet but I paid around $16 for fluid last time. This time was $22, I also paid another $2 for a fresh crush washer.