Receiver Hitch For Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

Hello-

My name is Dan Kopatich and I'm from Iowa and a new HCH owner. I have a question regarding receiver hitches for bicycles. I know Honda recommends not using the HCH for towing, but I'm interested in installing a receiver hitch for a bicycle rack as I do not like the "strap it to the trunk" bike racks. I see where Prius John at http://john1701a.com had a receiver hitch custom made for his Prius for around $250. Has any HCH owner done this to their car? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Old 07-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Personally, I used yakima Q-towers with a 48" crossbar with wheel forks and the yakima copperhead. I prefer roof mounts and i've found them much more reliable then a trunk or reciever mount. All together it'd probably run about the same as getting a receiver made and getting a rack.

I've always found it easier and more reliable to mount from the top then from behind.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Drummer Dan:

___If the HCH has the same rear undercarriage as that of the regular Civic (I bet it’s close if not identical), the following might help.

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model...x=10&image1.y=9

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net