Seeking Advice for purchase:New HCH II or Used HCH I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast
Question Seeking Advice for purchase:New HCH II or Used HCH I?

hi all,
hoping I can get some objective advice here ( and subjective when relevant) to the question: Better to buy a new HCH II (have 1 on order, I think, that would theoretically arrive late March) or a low mileage 2003/2004 HCH I?
The used cars: 2003 w/ nearly 18K, auto; or 2004 w/11K, 5speed. Given the auto has reconditioned TX title cost could be as low as $10K. 2004, 5speed, has special leather int, cost +/- $14500.
So far, my adv for new: 8th gen of Civics has more modern platform, look, side curtain airbags, is 4db quieter, per Car & Driver (to wit: their recent test of the new 6th gen Toyota Camry had int. sound levels of : 37/74/69dbA at idle/WOT/70MPH cruising; the HCH II had levels of 38/74/69!)
I can get the new one for $1300 off sticker; and if it gets the $2150 credit, the new cost would be about $19K. Full warranty, etc.
Adv for used: lower cost obviously, 4db isn't THAT much quieter (I drive a Miata often, it's NOT quiet, top up or down), older styling, slower.

Background: I generally have gotten better than EPA MPG on most of my cars, most of which have been manuals - starting w/ a 4speed '73 Subaru DL and most notably a 91 Mazda Protege DX 5sp. Generally get 30-32MPG in the 5sp Miata. Point being I'm very comfortable w/ a stick. The DB here shows the 5sp HCH I w/ a 2MPG over he CVT HCH I.
BUT - it seems like a CVT, if I can allow it to accelerate most of the time at a steady RPM in the 1900-2100 RPM range would provider great MPG.

Any feedback is appreciated - particularly from those who own a HCH II and owned/own a HCH I.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Seeking Advice for purchase:New HCH II or Used HCH I?

I am always one to buy a used car with some miles on it. I got my 2004 in August for $18,000 out the door and it had 14k miles. No real discernable difference between that and a new car, and I saved at least $4000. I've already doubled the miileage now and it still feels brand new. Buying this way gets you way more bang for your buck. With the savings I can buy 150 tanks of gas which is enough for 80k miles. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Plus, in this case, I like the HCHI much better than the 2006. Of course that's mostly subjective considerations, but the decision is a no brainer for me because I really don't like the 2006.

I was a manual-only guy until I bought the HCH CVT. I really like it. Sure a little less FE, but it doesn't have the annoying things about regular automatics.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Zimbop: Are you serious when you say you prefer HCHI over the HCHII? I know that it is subjective but just the difference in looks would drive me to the HCHII over the HCHI.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you already get EPA or better in your current automobiles, then I assume that you know how to drive a car in a reasonable manner, in order to get good mileage. Therefore I would say that either version of the HCH would suit you well.

Purchasing the HCH-I would save you a fair amount of cash. Purchasing the HCH-II would give you more flash (hey I'm a poet). But I think, given your driving style, that the issue boils down to saving money (HCH-I) versus the newer/cooler/sleeker HCH-II.

And for what it's worth, I also prefer the styling of 2002-2005 Civics. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
Zimbop: Are you serious when you say you prefer HCHI over the HCHII? I know that it is subjective but just the difference in looks would drive me to the HCHII over the HCHI.
Yes, dead serious. Funny you should say that, looks alone are enough for me to stick to the 2004!

New flashy stuff is only that, just flash, unless they add something I really need or want, which they didn't. The HCHII has a bunch of changes but they're all for the worse IMO. I really love the layout and look of the 2004 and hate the look and colors of the 2006, so why would I ever consider the 2006 unless it had significant improvements... and I can't really see any. Yeah the hybrid system is a little improved, but the slight difference is not worth $4000 and uglier looks.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM

I could not get the Nav in the pre-06 Civics. Also, the little things like lack of truck release on the key fob drove me nuts. All the "real" value of the '06 probably isn't worth the money given the numbers you have laid out. It's a little bit more quiet and it's a little bit more powerful but probably not $10K worth.

For me, I like the styling of the '06 to a degree that I bought it over a used (or probably could find a new one some where) one.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I've had an 03 for 3 years now. In my passing evaluation of the 06, I personally noted a few things:
- I like the look of the 06 better (subjective, yes)
- I think the auto-stop programming in the HCH II is better than the HCH I, in that it will auto-stop more frequently during stop-and-go traffic
- I like the fact it will go EV mode (at times) to maintain speed and not use the engine
- I like the audio controls on the steering wheel
- I like the idea of integrated sat radio (although we know this doesn't live up to it's billing and costs much more than advertised). In any event, and in-dash unit would be nice.

There may be more, but those are mine. That said, it was not enough for me to part with my 03, which I will drive at least until I see the HCH III (whatever that is - probably around 2010 ish).

I wish I could offer more of a comparison. However I will say I like my HCH I, and I do not regret owning it. Small inconveniences aside, it's a wonderful car.

If it were me in that scenario, unless I felt like I'd drive the HCH II for 7-10 years, I'd be strongly inclined to save the money and go with the HCH I, pay it off quick, own it for 4-5 years, then see what's out there. I think in another 5 years there may be some very cool options out there to choose from. That's just me.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tim
If it were me in that scenario, unless I felt like I'd drive the HCH II for 7-10 years, I'd be strongly inclined to save the money and go with the HCH I, pay it off quick, own it for 4-5 years, then see what's out there. I think in another 5 years there may be some very cool options out there to choose from.
Yeah, but won't there be some very cool options even if he buys the HCH II now?

Old 01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

How much disposable income do you have? I'm a HCH I owner that's loves my car but I am dying for a HCH II. I love the looks and some of the new gizmos I don't have on the HCH I.

I'm used to noisy cars too, so to me the HCH I is pretty quiet. The HCH II would be nice for the quieter ride but I'd muck it up by putting too much air in the tires in the quest of the perfect MPG.

In the end, $10k is a lot of $$$$$. Think of all the stuff you could buy with that. Heck, there's my 50inch LCD TV, a Tom Tom for NAVI in the car, a nice DVD radio for the car and still a couple grand left over to overpay on my house payment to chop a couple years off of my mortgage. Heck, just use the extra $10k you would of used on the car toward your house payment. (this is coming from a "car guy" too, my world revolves around cars - anyone in my family will vouch for that)

You just made me talk myself out of trying to talk my wife into letting me get an '06. Darn it!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Brains of the Operation

Also, I don't know about TN, but in VA there was a new 2005 HCH-I on the lot in Fredericksburg just a week or two ago. If you could snag an '05 new, you could probably haggle a deep discount, and you'd have the benefits of being first-owner on your hybrid.

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice for purchase:New HCH II or Used HCH I?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands