Is a tint really worth it?

Old 06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Is a tint really worth it?

Local guys here want to charge me $130 + tax to tint my 03 HCH with a 3 year warrenty. What do you guys think? I live in Austin, where it's **** sunny and my car gets hot, hot, hot.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: Is a tint really worth it?

In Southern California, I got a quote for $160 + tax with a lifetime warranty. Keeping the interior temps down is a good thing for the battery and your general comfort in the Texas heat.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live in Austin, too. I got my windows tinted at First Texas Honda the second week I owned my HCH. I think it makes quite a difference. I also got the fitted "Heat Shield" windshield cover which I use when parked. It makes a huge difference, keeping the car way cooler.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Phoenix dweller here - heat expert......GET THE TINT. It helps immensely, and also protects the interior plastics and fabrics from UV decay. Also IMHO makes the car look MUCH better visually. For best performance, get a ceramic tint, with metallic tint a close second place. Good Luck !!!

Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

How much did First Honda charge you? 3 years doesn't seem that long, I don't want to put down another $100 when their crappy job starts flaking. It's mother's window tint, BTW.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:47 PM

Metallic tint can interefere with the GPS -- something to consider in picking the best material.
Originally Posted by lars-ss
Phoenix dweller here - heat expert......GET THE TINT. It helps immensely, and also protects the interior plastics and fabrics from UV decay. Also IMHO makes the car look MUCH better visually. For best performance, get a ceramic tint, with metallic tint a close second place. Good Luck !!!

Old 06-17-2005, 03:07 PM

Here are some brands of metallic tint which claim to NOT intefere with GPS:

http://www.tinttrimfactory.com/automotive/3m-tint.htm

and:

http://www.campbelltint.com/automotive.htm

I guess it just depends on the type of metallic tint. I suppose if your GPS antenna is on the front dash or goes through the untinted front windshield it would be OK too. Just be knowledgable.....

Old 06-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

First Texas charged me $189. I'm told by a couple of FTH service techs who I met at the Draught House that the tinting is actually done by Sun Tint. It's got a lifetime guarantee.

If you're ever in that part of town on a Thursday afternoon, stop by Draught House at 42nd and Medical. Most of the regulars know me as David Rose, and some even as doppler I've actually seen another HTH driver there, a few weeks ago.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think the tinting helped quite a bit. The windshield shield definatley helps more. I am happy I had mine tinted. makes the car look cool!

Clay

Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
Local guys here want to charge me $130 + tax to tint my 03 HCH with a 3 year warrenty. What do you guys think? I live in Austin, where it's **** sunny and my car gets hot, hot, hot.
That is actually a good deal. Almost on the low end. You definitely need to check these guys out and make sure they do a good job, a bad tinting job will make you wish you never had it to begin with. It takes about 10 times as much effort to get rid of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a tint really worth it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands