tips and mods to make your honda civic hybrid run as should be

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default tips and mods to make your honda civic hybrid run as should be

hi guys, new here,first thanks for the information on this site,and I would like to share my experience right back, I just pick up a used 2003 honda civic hybrid here in honolulu. dealer wanted 9,500 deal it down to 8,300, out the door,dealer threw on 2 new tire and two new cv boots ,( a tip here is always park your car leaving your steering straight,older boots hot parked would cool down conforming to a angle,turning the other way when cold will break the boot.) I know the trouble area on the civic,but we just make the best of it. Iam very happy with the car. as used hybrid are hard to come by here. they hold on to it. reason he dropped it was because I was going and did put in a aftermarket dealer sunroof (elsewhere) in it ,that added 1,900 to the car. well first thing that need to change. is the 1.3 really need more oats, so you don't push the peddles much. power comes two ways r.pm.that free flow but that eats gas. and torque ,but you talking about mouse size pistons/flywheel so their no mass size for torque, cant fool around with timing or intake spacers ,both biggie ,but their others ways to cheats cause torque is what we need ,power off 1,000 to 2,000 where we spent most of the time ,its a trade off we lose some at full throttle,if it was a 4 valves head you lose nothing. a side benefit of improving torque is you get more vacuum and that means your brakes get more stronger touchier, similar like advancing your timing what we cant do on this engine. car peddle get more responsive,
been trying different combination together , find out what combination works best. I had the car for 2 months and I have come up with results my honda hybrid is way stronger than stock. increasing torque or usable power off 1,000 rpm. there more power just before asst ,and a side benefit is its strong as a regular 1.5 civic without asst what I wanted .. very fun to drive, so when the battery does goes. its still be a regular civic , best its easy mods that can also be removed . feel free to add your tricks, a car stock is same as a camcorder, no one will be totally happy..almost but its never made just right for you. but if you can tayor its weak points it can become a fun driving machine, as the civic handles well and is a fun car to drive,just almost their. stay tune.

Last edited by aqua; 06-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default duel battery

a thing I used to run on my former altima and mustang was duel battery. you notice the hotter spark in a more responsive none gas wasting. feel it best in lower speed and gears climbing as its cleaner burning. the .the honda civic hybrid has a 475 cca a under size battery.the civic has the same size battery. but its has a larger engine so its forgiving, by using the civic body the civic battery placement set ,it might have redeem it just ok or unnecessary to redesign a bigger battery placement would need to redesign the air filter/etc .no room . well I have put in a secound battery and the honda civic hybrid loves it. work wonderful ,more usable torque down low,in getting up to speed , another thing is better mpg . the dc. to dc down converter has no problem charging the second battery as I have a large marine dc volt meter 8 volt to 16 volt to monitor my batterys.and I also charge a sears ac battery pack some time together and can see the battery charge level of all batterys. I usually hook up the second battery directly to the under hood battery using 12 gage wire,and fused ,but to be safe I tried this time useing the remote dc socket its fused 10 amp ,its safe worse you can do is blow a fuse , how? buy a male plug w/a visible +and - radio shack, and if you want a voltmeter you can screw cap that wire on and attach that on the male plug useing walmart glue mold-able glue. the good thing about where to put the 2th battery is in front of the passenger feet or under the glove box.its out of the way as a very thin small battery, you needed a 1 '' block of wood to tilt the battery straight up ,for a perfect solid fit. I use ac extension wire from the m.plug branch off to a meter then peal back 3 inches of insulation ,brush off the battery post then wrap around the post. then using thick solid wire wrap around the wire on the post then twist the wire w/ pliers for a strong positive connection flush it against the post then electric tape completely. car battery wore out faster in hot weather and if its gets discharge often.the funny thing is you cant take the battery back for warranty as they put in on a battery tester and tell you the battery work ok but you are wasting unburned gas . bad mpg ? on a on the way out battery that so so but drop off the curve earlier,the other end, best buy a new battery every 2 years (walmart 500 cca )then used your old 2th battery under the dash. in doing so the 2th fuse box is under the steering wheel cover look at your manual for dc remote socket .dont leave your car disconnected from the battery for minutes to long as you computer can reset. and your radio will reset disconecting your battery so you will need to get you car radio code number from the dealer.your two radio serial number can be found by pushing 1 and 6 together.think i you miss first try you need to hold both and turned on.
also when you disconect the battery your battery charge bars first will be none, as you drive it will build up again,that normal in the manual.

Last edited by aqua; 06-24-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default thread closed............

thread has now moved to HCH I-Specific Discussions , but the mod and tips will work on all 3 hybrid version,the 2010 version now has longer intake runner,for more torque.same thing were trying to achieve and needed. moderator, this thread can be closed.thanks.......