To ULEV or not ULEV?

Old 07-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Energy Independence!
Default To ULEV or not ULEV?

I know that ULEV stands out for UltraLow Emissions Vehicle, am I right?

However, I've seen other posters mentioning something like PZEV or something like that.

What is this? What is the difference compared to an ULEV vehicle?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: To ULEV or not ULEV?

PZEV stands for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle that is also rated SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle). SULEV/PZEV rated vehicles emit lower amounts of Hydrocarbons, Nitrous Oxides, and Carbon Monoxide than ULEV rated vehicles.

Not all states have PZEV rated vehicles available.

See Wikipedia's definition of SULEV here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SULEV

Old 07-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is a range within each emission category, but middle SULEV is about twice as clean as middle ULEV.

PZEV is SULEV + a gas tank that prevents evaporative emissions and a longer warranty for the emission related components.

ULEV/SULEV/PZEV are designations from the CA air resources board (CARB). The US feds have their own set of standards (in tier/bin categories) that are less stringent than California's, which has led about 10 states (West coast , Niew England, NY, NJ) to use CA's requirements.

This EPA site is a very good place to use to include emissions considerations into your buying decision.

Good Luck, and kudos for caring.

-- ERic

Old 07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Energy Independence!

Thanks all for your replies, but perhaps I should have asked my question a little different...
In the Civic Hybrid, what are the performance differences between the ULEV and PZEV?

I know, for instance that the gas tank's capacity is lower. But there may be something else, like not allowing the engine to run so lean, as lean burning may produce higher amounts of contaminants, specifically NOx....

thanks again, and happy coasting back home.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by fernando_g
Thanks all for your replies, but perhaps I should have asked my question a little different...
In the Civic Hybrid, what are the performance differences between the ULEV and PZEV?

I know, for instance that the gas tank's capacity is lower. But there may be something else, like not allowing the engine to run so lean, as lean burning may produce higher amounts of contaminants, specifically NOx....

thanks again, and happy coasting back home.
Looks like you already know the difference! The PZ has a smaller tank (I don't know why) and as you guessed it does not do lean burn. The mileage is almost exactly the same. With a manual you go from 46/51 ULEV to 45/51 PZEV. The CVT swaps city and highway figures from 48/47 ULEV to 47/48 PZEV.

I'd much rather have a PZ myself but they don't sell em here. The warranty for the PZ is fantastic!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"The PZ has a smaller tank (I don't know why)"

My guess would be that the tank is smaller due to the extra width of the gas tank walls themselves, which would be there in order to prevent evaporative emissions.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

well that's strange, i thought since it was 'partial zero emissions' that the pzev HCHs were able to run with the electric motor only and that the PZEV HCHs had that advantage, guess i was wrong

Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 PM

Hi All:

___If you are in the hunt for a new HCH (I would wait for the new 06 myself), I would pick up a PZEV. The issue is that Honda does NOT give you the longer warranty on the emissions equipment if it was not driven principally in the 5-clean states you purchased it in. I have never seen a challenge to this weasel wording but if I were ever to lose a CAT at 65K miles here in Illinois in my own Massachusetts purchased PZEV (one of those 5 clean states) and Honda would not cover it, I would be taking the matter up a little higher then Honda corporate if you know what I mean.

___In either case, if you are going to purchase new, drive to a state that has a PZEV available to you as the < $150.00 upcharge is easily worth it when you consider the emissions that a LEV/ULEV emits vs. the PZEV. The Honda PZEV’s (PZEV based HCH and non-hybrid Accord) are the cleanest mass produced automobiles on the planet other then the Natural Gas based – non-hybrid Civic.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Proudest Monkey

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi All:

The Honda PZEV’s (PZEV based HCH and non-hybrid Accord) are the cleanest mass produced automobiles on the planet other then the Natural Gas based – non-hybrid Civic.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
Does the Civic Hybrid in PZEV form outclass (i.e run cleaner) than the 2nd generation Prius which I believe is also a PZEV?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Frog
Does the Civic Hybrid in PZEV form outclass (i.e run cleaner) than the 2nd generation Prius which I believe is also a PZEV?
I haven't seen the numbers to know how close they scored, but from the info I've seen the Prius II is a Bin 3 rating and the PZEV Civic is a Bin 2. That's not a big difference, but technically the Civic is cleaner, although on average it's probably a lot worse because the ULEV is a Bin 9!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To ULEV or not ULEV?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands