what is it like to drive the HCH without the IMA? Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default what is it like to drive the HCH without the IMA? Part 2

I am working with a case manager at Honda Corporate and we spoke yesterday. This is what I gathered from him:

The car needs both batteries functioning in order to be driveable. (although he said he wasn't an expert in these matters, I tend to believe him.) I don't know which makes me angrier--the impending failure of my battery at 66,000 miles or the service rep at the dealership who lied through his teeth about this to get me out of his shop.

The case manager wants to speak to the Service Manager at the dealership before he can make any decisions about my situation. Service manager is on vacation this week. So I should hear sometime early next week. The case manager comes across as helpful and interested in finding a solution to this problem. I get the impression Corporate would like dealerships to be more helpful to hybrid owners in this situation.

I will keep the list posted on my progress.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what is it like to drive the HCH without the IMA? Part 2

I was under the impression our car can drive with out the hybrid battery and only use the 12v battery, but since our cars do not have a alternator the battery would not last too long, especially at night. The 12V battery is used to start the car, power the ECU, and light\dash\etc. Hybrid battery is used for the IMA and to recharge the 12v.

There is a switch in my 04 Honda, behind the rear seat that will turn off the hybrid battery and recharging so it will have less drag from trying to regen. But I have not try any of this yet, this is all from what i read on this site.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info--good to know. My '03 model doesn't have a switch--that must have been a new feature in the '04. My car is still running and the IMA still seems to be charging up.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

The switch looks like it is behind the back seat in the cabin, not trunk. Check step 8. But glad to hear it is still running and charging! You still have the IMA light on in the dash too?

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com...al/bypass.html

Old 04-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Enthusiast

I will have to look for the switch. Yes, IMA light still on but car still running.