GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Honda Motor Company/Acura > Honda Civic Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Honda Civic Hybrid '06
Default When to replace transmission fluid - Civic Hybrid Automatic '06

Can someone help me?

When is the suggested time to replace transmission fluid in a Honda Civic Hybrid? I have an automatic transmission (CVT) '06 model. The Sevice manual say to replace tranny fluid when the Maintanence Minder shows a number 3. But is there a way to determine based just on time and/or miles driven? My problem is that the Maintanence Minder may have shown a "3" in the past and got reset, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Now the car has 38,000 miles on it and I'm not sure if I should change now or not.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: HCH 11 2006/ Prius 2006
Default Re: When to replace transmission fluid - Civic Hybrid Automatic '06

Check your manual. It is pretty well covered in there. I am sure if #3 was showing on the maintenance minder, your service department would have changed the oil. It will cost a fair amount to change this oil as it is quite a involved process. Do you not keep your reciepts, it will show there.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, I dont think it is very well covered in there. it says to replace transmission fluid when you see a number 3. Doesn't link this anywhere to miles driven or time.

I do keep receipts. But I think I didnt explain fully. The service people have at times asked if I'd like to change the tranny fluid and I declined. They will probably ask again. I just want to know if there is a link to miles driven and/or time to help me make a decision.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 PM

No set miles, you go by the maintanence minder, same as engine oil change. It would be nice to no what the average milage is on this change however, for your sake. It seems to me that it comes around 25000?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

I could be wrong. But it seems 25000 is pretty early to change transmission fluid.

Does anyone reading know for sure approx what mileage they first saw the maintanence minder showing "3" meaning to change the transmission fluid?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM

Regular transmissons do go longer on the trans. fluids, but I believe the CTV requires a oil flush at around 25000Click the image to open in full size. The CTV must be more demanding on the oil. I was hopping that there was a synthetic fluide out that would last longer, but so far I haven't been able to find out. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: HCH-2006 (without navi)

This whole Maintenance Minder deal is the one thing I really hate about this car. Though I understand it's probably not just the hybrid model but all recent hondas, right?

The reminder on the dash is convenient and all - but for the love of god, I would REALLY like to have a suggested schedule of what will probably need to be done when.

Honda keeps giving me satisfaction surveys, I keep saying that, and they keep sending me information about the lovely maintenance minder system. Argh. Yes. I understand that it will tell me when I need to change the oil - but what if I'm trying to plan ahead? Especially for larger costs like transmission fluid flushes etc etc.

Does the maintenance minder actually look at anything other than mileage in order to determine what you need done? Does it actually monitor the state of your oil and transmission fluid etc?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Hybrids: 2006 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenebalogun View Post
Does the maintenance minder actually look at anything other than mileage in order to determine what you need done? Does it actually monitor the state of your oil and transmission fluid etc?
Yes, it does do more than track mileage. It supposedly tracks engine revolutions to better calculate the need for an oil change.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 AM
"Manalo"

Hybrids: HCHII

i recall changing A/T fluid every 30,000 miles but where is this maintenance number "3"??? How do I see that on my dash board???
Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

irenebalogun-
I agree completely. I would really love to see a manufacturers suggested maintanence list other than when the number pops up on my dash to tell me, "Time to open up your pocket book". If anyone has a suggestion to find this please let us all know.

estoril73-
I believe thats the whole issue. You wont see the "3" pop up until it's time to get it done.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 AM

Tags
2005, 2006, automatic, change, civic, cvt, fluid, guarantee, highlander, honda, hybrid, miles, oil, replace, replacing, transmission