When to replace transmission fluid - Civic Hybrid Automatic '06

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:04 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: When to replace transmission fluid - Civic Hybrid Automatic '06

Originally Posted by Harold
No set miles, you go by the maintanence minder, same as engine oil change. It would be nice to no what the average milage is on this change however, for your sake. It seems to me that it comes around 25000?
Honda will resist publishing the expected mileage because all vehicles tend to be driven differently and that is single largest variable that will influence the need for a fluid change. The Maintenance Minder is the tool that will reduce much of the company's liability when it comes to warranty fullfillments primarily due to negligent use and maintenance of a vehicle during the warranty period.
If you wish to learn about the typical service intervals for a specific item in your vehicle please kindly ask your dealership. That is the closest of an answer you'll get.

With regards to the CVT fluid on the HCH-II's:

The CVTF fluid is specifically designed for this transmission. No other will do. Now, even if 25000 miles, it may appear to be a little low but it is not particularly for this CVT and expecially in light of what Honda has learnt from their HCH-1 CVT's. I for one plan to make the CVT fluid change much earlier than that mark.
As some may recall, Honda had published a rather sensible service interval for their CVT's on the HCH-1 (2004-2005) only to find out later on that the interval was too long. As a result, people started bringing their vehicles into service complaining of lurching and slipping of the transmission. A change of the CVTF fluid solved the problem in many cases but in some there was damage to the Belt as well as other CVT components - which sometime prompted transmission replacements.
As you can see, this issue is not without precendent.

Here's what I would suggest for those of us who want to plan ahead:
Call your dealership and ask them about the typical service intervals for this and other items. I know some service departments that will refuse to divulge this information because they do not want to be perceived as authoritative (hence liable) nor do they want to dismiss the Maintenance Minder. Even in these cases, they should be able to define a good ballpark if you ask nicely.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When to replace transmission fluid - Civic Hybrid Automatic '06

My reminder appeared this week at 26,500 which is after 6.5 months of driving probably 60/70% highway. I'm trying to go another week so I can do the oil change as well as transmission fluid change but also swap from my winter tires to the summer tires instead of making multiple trips to the shop.

If you wanted a list of what maintenance items to perform just wait until someone with higher mileages posts their servicve reminder (like me) or get the info from the Service Dept and post it here for the rest of us.

Edit: Just got the car back today from the A123 service (Oil change, Tire rotation, and Transmission fluid change). My shop charged either $105 or $135. I paid $135 for it but one line item notes "Service Crown Victoria Tank" so either they entered the wrong item # or charged me for a Ford Crown Vic item. I think they listed the wrong item as I wanted them to take off the winter Blizzak tires/wheels and mount the summer tires/wheels and also replace the Cabin Air Filter if necessary and that item might not exist in their database. The shop said that the tranny fluid was like water so anyone out there waiting a long time after the reminder pops up you are on borrowed time as this is not your Father's transmission fluid.

Last edited by Flash; 03-05-2007 at 02:33 PM.