Why is the HCH always compared to the LX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Why is the HCH always compared to the LX?

Anyone else frustrated that in articles the HCH is always compared to the LX? It should be compared to the EX which is almost 2K more expensive than the LX.

Example from MSN:

Apples-to-apples comparisons are less kind. A garden-variety Civic LX sedan sells for about $16,500 and returns 31 mpg in the city, 38 on the highway. Using the city mileage figure (which most people would achieve in day-in, day-out driving), you’d spend $725 a year to drive 15,000 miles on $1.50 gasoline. The Civic Hybrid would consume $469 worth, a savings of just $256 a year. (At $2 a gallon, the savings is about $342 a year.)

Old 05-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why is the HCH always compared to the LX?

I can tell you why, exactly why: It is COMPLETELY because the writers DO NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK !! They should absolutely compare it to the EX every single time if they do their jobs right.

This is a Pet Peeve of mine, this "Hybrid Premium" stuff.

You are spending MORE and GETTING more for that money - lower fuel costs, higher resale at trade time, etc etc. It's a value decision like buying any other asset - you spend more for an energy efficient home than a home which includes no energy-efficient design elements, right? Why would you not spend more for a car with more energy-efficient design elements than a comparable gas only car?

GGGRRRRRR those reporter guys and gals get on my nerves sometimes....

Old 05-31-2005, 01:46 PM

I think they pick the LX specificaly because honda said the hybrid is based on the LX model.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM

Honda said that? That's an oddly curious thing to say I think. ( This could potentially educate me.)

I see the Hybrid as "based on the Civic chassis" but other than that, how does the LX come to be the "basis" for the Hybrid? The LX is just the DX with more standard features just as the EX is the LX with more standard features, am I incorrect about that?

I'm gonna take a look into this subject and see what turns up.....

Old 05-31-2005, 02:05 PM

Here is at least one review that says the 2003 HCH is based on the EX, a scenario which to me makes much more sense:

Both models are based on the upscale EX Civic sedan and come loaded with features. Consequently, there are no factory-installed options available.
http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev...da/civic/2003/

Old 05-31-2005, 02:07 PM

I only say that honda says its based on an LX because thats what the dealer told me.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

My *opinion* is that the comparison is made to the LX because of the lack of moon roof in the hybrid.

I'm in the same boat with my Accord. No way is it closer to the LX than the EX. ... but I sure miss my moon roof anyway. Even with that said, I've never loved a car more. At least, not in my adult life. That '66 Mustang I had when I was 16... 289, cruise-o-matic, kool air.... Sorry, I was day dreaming.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

The HCH is much more refined than the Civic EX or LX. It is worth the extra money for its quietness as compared to the regular Civics. Simply, it is much more than the EX with the exception of a moonroof. I have had cars with moonroofs, never use them, could care less about them...just dead weight as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:53 AM

Its not so much that they compare it to the LX, they compare it to a base LX. They should add some options to make them comparable. Besides, is the money the reason you bought a hybrid? Dont sweat what other people say, they're just mad they're getting 20 mpg

Old 06-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Stevo is right. Compare your MPG to their MPG. You win!

Quick Reply: Why is the HCH always compared to the LX?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands